• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17x7 Mopar Steelies 255/75 JK Rubicon BFGs

deucestudios

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I don't post here much, but though this was worth sharing.
A few of my friends and I figured this out, after a lot of searching.
I got a great deal on JK Rubicon take off tires, and needed/wanted a cheap 17" steel wheel.
Please read up on the difference between 5x4.5, and 5x115, if you decide to run a similiar setup. Do so at your own risk.
rotfl2.gif

Wheels:
300c, Challenger, Magnum (LX Platform) 17x7" stock steel.
Some sources say 5x4.5 others list them 5x115. That is 0.02" difference, so run these at your own risk!!!
71.5mm center bore. Seats PERFECTLY on the hub, better than the Cragars I have.
4.5" backspacing.

Tire:
255/75r17 BFG Mud Terrain (measure a full 32")
Front is about 1/2" tucked, rear is about 1" tucked in the fender.

Center caps are stock XJ, the wheels needed the mounting holes for them, but even they fit great.

The combo is around 67 pounds tire & wheel.

Thanks Hammered.
If you can't tell, I'm really happy with how this came out.
I'll get more pictures today, I finished up late last night.

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

Wow those actually look really nice, glad it worked out for you. It's good to see people putting in the extra effort (and by effort I mean $ and time) and coming up with a different wheel/tire combo once in a while. Can you do me a favor and measure the actual section width?

Thanks Dan.

Wheel?
outer lip to outer lip is 8", inside lip to lip is 7" across.
From the inside back lip, to the wms, is just under 5".
From the outside/front lip, to the front of the wms, is a hair over 3"
So, I'm taking 1/2" off for the width of the lip, calling it 7", with 4.5" bs.

Tire? Don't have numbers for yet, but tire rack says, measured on a 7" wheel, the tire should be 10", and they do look a bit skinnier than my 31x10.5" all terrains, which are on a 15x8 cragar.

:cheers:

Those actually look really good. I've always liked the way the steelies look on the Magnum/Charger cop cars but I've never seen somebody put them on a Jeep. They're definitely better than any of the stupid 5 spoke Jeep steelies they've put out recently.

Interesting. The 0.7mm difference doesn't seem to be that huge, I'd run em but crank the hell out of the lugs and check them frequently...

FWIW, the steel wheels off a Crown Vic are 5x4.5, 16 inch diameter, not sure on width. They have a slightly smaller centerbore than will fit over the hubs on an XJ though, I need to grind them out a bit. I'd be worried about grinding them out but XJs are lug centric not hub centric so it shouldn't matter, in fact my Cragars on the 96 have a lot of space between the centerbore and the hub.

Kastein, I've read different sources that say the challenger/300x/magnum are 5x4.5, some say it's 5x115, so I really don't even know for sure that they're wrong.
And if it is, it.s 0.7mm across the diameter, so each lug would only be 0.35mm off. Or converted to standard, a C hair.
The center bore is perfect, there's no room to even have them seat wrong, but yeah, like you said, I took my time doing a star pattern evenly, and double checked them at the gas station this morning. I'll probably check them a few more times before taking my daughter out in it, just for my own OCD reasons.
The center fit is better than my cragars, the lug nuts don't even appear to sit offset in the bolt holes.

Here's a good tool for cross refrencing bolt pattern/center bore/stud size:
http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-...p?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=4.5&StudSpreadMM=

looks like the crown vic is a 70.3mm center.

Yeah, good point, I forgot it's diameter vs radius.

Awesome link, thanks a lot :thumbup:

For every baby bently out there on twenny-fo's, there's a set of these waiting to find a home on a XJ.

Now, if I could just find a pair of center caps for the other side. Any got them?

For every baby bently out there on twenny-fo's, there's a set of these waiting to find a home on a XJ.

Really? I thought lots of them had those 5 spoke steelies underneath the stock Pep Boys wheel covers. If not, I need to start looking for a set. These days (due to the proliferation of the JK and 3/4 trucks) it's way easier to find great used tires in 17" on craigslist. I had to look long and hard for my 30" ATs and I haven't really seen any great upgrades to 32/33 lately when it comes to 15" wheels.

Agreed! Looks good!

Your truck looks great! Would you mind sharing the specifics of your lift? I'm considering doing this to my truck, and I'd like to have an idea if I'm going to be able to fit these. :thumbup:

Those look really good. Are the lugs staying tight?

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with it too.

It's a 3" rough country front coil, and 3" rough country AAL. Using some extra XJ leaves & a shackle.
It's 20" from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare.
Exact same height as my dad's XJ, which is a 3" rough country full spring kit, with 31" all terrains.
If I was you, just do the $509 full spring kit from them, save yourself the trouble. Here's a pic of the 2 of them.

Yeah, the lugs are tight. No vibrations, and the old thing rolls really great on the highway.
I took one off to check it out, see how things were going.
I was thinking that possibly the lug nut would have rubbed the hole in the wheel off center, showing the difference, or the 0.35mm. On the wheel, the shiny, cleaned off metal was a perfectly centered ring though. Which really makes me think that the lugs are seating perfectly, and makes me wonder if they aren't just 5x4.5, and not 5x115. So, while I'm not 100% sure of the bolt pattern, the fit on the hub is "perfect".
They honestly are a better fit on the hub than my Cragar V5's did.

7cce77a3.jpg

Back