• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power WJ seats in a 2001 XJ with manual seats

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Hate to ask this, but limitations in the forum's search feature have made my quest a PITA (used Google and narrowed the search to naxja.org with some success)... In any case, I'm looking at a pair of black cloth WJ seats from a 2004 model for $150 in great shape. Only issue is they're powered seats.

Now, from what I've read, 97+ XJs only used a single body harness, meaning that electrical connections should already be there so I'm not too concerned (though if this is wrong, please correct me). My question is this:

Will the fact that these are power seats cause problems when swapping the XJ seat brackets to the WJ seats? I just don't think I can visualize where the powered mechanisms are on these seats, so this very well may be a stupid question.

Also, as a secondary question - I know the WJ seats will sit higher than the XJ seats, but I'm not sure how much. I've read something about there being spacers on the XJ seat brackets that raise them to the "stock" height - how difficult are these to remove? My head already brushes the ceiling when sitting with proper posture (far more comfortable on long road trips) so I'd rather not go any higher.

Thanks in advance!

what year cherokee? 97 or newer im assuming?

if you have the power seats in your XJ, then using the XJ base will make everything plug and play (i beleive from what i have read). if you dont, than after getting the power seat bases from an XJ will make everything plug and play (again, from what i have read).

Thanks for the input... Per the topic, it's a 2001 XJ with manual seats. I guess I'll keep doing more research or just bite the bullet and buy the seats (they've been in storage at a local shop, so they might need a good shampooing anyway).

The "power" part of the seat is all in the base. There are only 4 nuts (13mm I think) holding the seat to the base, and I'm pretty sure all Jeeps have the same placement so you should be able to swap the WJ seats right onto your bases.

My XJ only has a power driver's seat - not sure if they are all that way. If the wiring is there, there should be 2 fairly large connectors under your seat. One goes to the control panel, the other to the motors.

Back