• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Identity

SavedDad

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone please identify the top axle.. I bought outer axle seals for my dana 30 and they don't fit the top axle. Ridged Ridge/Allow USA is failling to be of any help

260_vs_297.jpg

thanks in advance

The oil seal for the D30 is at the pumpkin. Not sure what you mean by "outer" seal. The only thing on the outer end of the axle tube is a dirt shield, doesn't "seal" anything.

are you meaning the aftermarket tube seals? and count the splines, only thing I could think of is someone put a super 30 kit in.

yes the aftermarket outer axle tube seal was an afterthought to protect the Spartan that I installed...my thought process was that if I can keep mud and water out well then it would last much longer.

but alas, I have been sent the wrong size seals...and the vendor is showing me that customer service isn't very important to them..

counting the splines isn't need - the Spartan works with out ANY trouble...27 spline is installed and I've driven over 200 miles street miles without any trouble.

the seals that you have linked are very similar to the ones that were sent to me...the top axle will not fit in the small 34mm hole that the seal has in the housing. I had to remove the snap ring and pry out the rubber seal to re-install my 27 spline axles..and Rugged Ridge / Alloy USA customer service is absolute crap.

$70 bucks of waste time and money..

I agree. the inner seals do a pretty good job of keeping muck out of the diff, rubber with spring surround in a stamped steel housing

can you return them? I know, cust service again...

I am running the outer axle seals that you are attempting to run, and I see how that shoulder would pose a problem. I don't think you are going to find a seal to work with that shoulder.

Rugged Ridge/Alloy USA simply are not going to have a solution for you. They only offer two inner diameter options, and neither one of those is going to work with that tapered shoulder.

There are pros and cons to those outer axle seals. I know my local axle shop really doesn't like them. Their most important argument is that water can get inside the tubes (particularly if turning during a water crossing) and then not get back out. Water crossings are not part of my world, but desert dust sure is. Those seals serve me well, so I continue to run them.

Back