• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lube Locker for AW4!

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Shot a message to Lube Locker yesterday as I was trying to put together a list of stuff I need to order for my "new" Heep. I've been running them on both axles on my '99 and they made that second fluid change so nice. I was disappointed to see that they still didn't list one for an AW4 so I shot them a note.

Apparently this is under development and they are shooting for first ship in a month or so!

Well they still haven't hit yet... Putting off trans service but can't wait too long as I am DDing this thing now and every day I drive on old fluid makes me feel guilty...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking at 255k miles I need to clean the screen... I wonder if someone put a transgo kit in it though it shifts better than my 99 at 120k and serviced twice by me with Redline...

I think you'd be surprised. I would direct your curiosity elsewhere, like trying conventional ATF in your 99 with 120K and seeing if it shifts any better. :laugh:

Sadly the 99 is going to the big parking lot in the sky once I strip all the goodies off of it as it apparently is impossible to find a PCM for it that will not throw a code for a leak detection pump that it doesn't have...

Sadly the 99 is going to the big parking lot in the sky once I strip all the goodies off of it as it apparently is impossible to find a PCM for it that will not throw a code for a leak detection pump that it doesn't have...

It shows up in the parts catalogs. I suspect its next to vacuum canister under the vehicle.

No, the vehicle was apparently originally a Forest Service vehicle and oddly optioned. Chafed wiring harness took out the original PCM. Can't find one that will work. I guess you could go to a junkyard and get all the leak detection stuff and add it on, but I don't have the time for that nor a good pull it yourself yard nearby. Also a lot of work for a vehicle with bad hail damage and rust creeping up the roof from a bad windshield replacement. Despite the higher miles I'm happier with the '00 and I'll pass on the '99 to someone who wants to fight with it when I strip all the stuff I've added off of it (heated mirrors, cruise, stereo, etc.)

I've already tried several PCMs. The problem is that all of them came out of vehicles with leak detection pumps. Mine ran fine with no codes until the original PCM died. I don't have enough free time to keep messing with it; looks like by the end of next week I'll have taken one day off work in three weeks. Someone else can mess with it while I try to make the black one nice...

I remember the painful trouble shooting you went though before on that 99. My guess at the time was the original engine harness is FUBAR since all the trouble seems to come back to the harness and not the PCM. Electrical gremlins can be the hardest to hunt down. Glad you got another XJ that's working out for you. The 99 will be a good parts jeep or project for somebody. Former Federal vehicles can be the most abused things you'll ever see, some are treated well with regular maintenance and others are purposely drive into the ground just cause they can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's sad to let it go, but at the same time it's ugly as sin and the Y2K has a lot more creature comforts.

Difficulty: I've found two issues with the Y2K; first, I think the front axle may have issues and that's the one thing I can't steal from the '99 because of the precats/low pinion thing. It didn't show up in a test drive but over about 75-80MPH the thing sounds like a complete bucket of bolts and has a horrible resonance like you've got a back window part way down. Hoping it's just something easy like a u-joint going bad. #2, apparently it vapor locks like a mofo, today's the first hot day we've had since I got the thing, but I think I have a plan to make the e-fan work like a more normal vehicle, I just made another post thinking out loud about that. I bet with about $50 in parts and a standard relay socket I can make this happen.

Of course, I need to get through some projects at work to even be able to take some time off and deal with this shit... I hope it doesn't completely crap the bed until I can either swap back to my car or else get down to my buddy's shop and have a few good work days on it.

Back