• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the symptoms of failing front axle U-Joints

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Would like to know what is the symptoms of a failing front axle u-joint, also what kind of noise if any it would make. Replaced my front hubs in April. Couple of days ago I got a weird noise that I think was coming from the front end, if I lightly applied the brakes it seemed to go away. It also seemed to be relative to speed. Pulled the front tires and found the inboard brake pads on both sides it bad shape. Still plenty of pad but was chipped an missing pieces at the top edge and in the center split. Also cleaned around the backing plate. Replaced the brake pads and took it out for about a 3 to 4 mile drive, ran up to about 60-65mph. No more noise wondering if I found the problem or if something else is just waiting to cause a problem.
Thanks for any and all help and suggestions,
Bill

Biggest indication would be slop in the joints. They can clunk and tick some if loose. Crawl back under and see if you can move your shafts around any. If they are original they can also be seized. Both my fronts looked and felt fine on the ground but once up in the air I had a hard time turning the wheels side to side by hand. If turned slightly at all rotating them was a challenge. Pulled the shafts out and I couldn't move them even in a vice. I can only imagine the strain the power steering was under until i replaced them.

Back