• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c clip access port detroit locker...

MENEZES

NAXJA Forum User
How do I get that damn pin out of there? It makes contact with the top of the ring gear teeth thus not allowing it to be removed. Detroit locker with c clip axles....Thanks.

ive got a lock-rite in my 8.8. installing it was a huge PITA...taking it out to install gears this summer will probably be harder then the gears themselves. i have no clue how im ever going to get it apart

Oh, its a 8.25 with 29 splined axles....sorry

if i remember correctly the pin is thin on one end so u can move it up just enough to push the axels in and remove the c clips but it wont come all the way out like other rear diffs.

I take it you have removed the retaining bolt.........

Once the retaing bolt is removed it will come out....it only comes out one direction though.

If it went in, it has to come out.

98XJeep said:
if i remember correctly the pin is thin on one end so u can move it up just enough to push the axels in and remove the c clips but it wont come all the way out like other rear diffs.

The pin does comes out all the way to expose the c clips.

Ive removed the two allen bolts into the pin itself....It moves freely but not enough to get up and over the ring gear teeth....

MENEZES said:
Ive removed the two allen bolts into the pin itself....It moves freely but not enough to get up and over the ring gear teeth....
ring gear has to be off the carrier

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

I want to buy detroit for my 8.25 too, but this is an issue I always wondered about, has anybody any advice?

The only thinkg is to somhow remove the ring while beeing still in the axle housing. But it sound quite stupid for me ..:flamemad:

I know this is a 2+ year old thread but it came the closest to what problem I am having. I fought with my newly acquired 8.25 with detroit trying to pull the shafts. My center pin is just like the one in the picture above. I have no Idea how to get it back out without surgery to the teeth. I fought with it for 2 hours thinking that if someone had got it in then I could get it out. I never could figure it out. Please help.

I’ve got the same setup and am trying to get to the c-clips. I’m not seeing any retaining screw for the pin, or the allen bolts someone referred to. Does anyone KNOW the procedure? Thanks if you can help.

Well the installer was supposed to clearance the edge of the ring gear teeth in order to install the pin easily. Alot of peopke just hammer it in and call it good. This becomes the norm with ratios over 4.10. This is why I hate c clip axles

On my 8.25 with Spartan locker, we had to clearance the inside edge of the teeth to get the pin in. You'll probably have to do the same here, or hammer it out as it was probably hammered in (jerks).

For anyone dealing with this issue for the first time — especially if, like me, you had your locker installed by someone else and aren’t readily familiar with the installation details — I thought I’d add some information.

To get to the centering pin, remove the allen bolt that lines up with the c-clip access port. You may have to rotate the gears a few degrees to get the bolt to clear the bearing cap on the passenger side. The bolt head has to be near one of the cap bolts before it can come out. The tip of that bolt mates up with a hole in the head of the center pin and acts as a retainer. The head of the center pin serves as the access port cover. It’s one piece.

Once the allen bolt is out, the pin should simply slide out . . . in a perfect world. Reading this thread and others, it seems that sometimes the gear teeth interfere and may need to be filed down. Mine wasn’t nearly that bad. A little gentle persuasion with a pry bar got it past the gear pretty easily. (I was prepared to try hammering from the other end with a hardwood dowel as a drift, but it wasn’t necessary.) Once the pin is out, push in the shafts one at a time and the c-clips can be drawn out with a magnet in the usual way.

Here are some pictures that someone may one day find helpful.

7a7c645ad55528538c075f964fa61849.jpg

f21ae1806cb92f8d774aa4b6bbaeebdc.jpg

Back