• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing flex plate, what else should I look at while it's tore down?

Sulfur

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall,
Title says it all, if I got the transmission and transfer case out what things should I look at or do?
I know the RMS would probably top the list if it's needed.

Changing the rear main seal would be done through the oil pan, but you can certainly have a look at it while you're there. Look at the freeze plugs in the back of the block while you're there too.

Sorry forgot to put this earlier;
96 xj 4.0 HO, should have AW4, and NP231.

Thanks I honestly wouldn't have thought about those

You are also aware that you need to install the t/c onto the trans first, making sure to rotate it until fully seated? Not getting it fully seated can destroy the pump in the trans when you tighten up the bellhousing bolts. Usually it will drop in twice as it engages two sets of splines, and the face of the t/c will sit lower than the mounting face of the bellhousing (lower than the amount the flexplate sticks out of the engine). Once the bellhousing is bolted up, you should still have a little for-aft movement of the t/c before you bolt it back up to the flexplate. I usually see about 1/8-1/4".

Second tip. Get some long bolts the same thread as the two side bellhousing bolts. Cut the heads off and put a screwdriver slot in the end. Put those in the engine block first to use as guide pins. This is actually more helpful for manual transmissions where getting everything lined up is more difficult.

Back