• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Front Brakes, BIG Brake Options

Sort of looks like he is attempting to be a Vendor without bothering to actually become one...

An end run around the rules so to speak...

At the least, it should be in the "for sale" forums, not in the technical forums.

This upgrade is NOT for sale. If you want something like this, make your own assuming you can still find the parts.

Just got done with making a jig for my big brake kit.

DSC07565.jpg

That is absolutely the longest way to do that i've ever seen. just center an xj rotor, clamp the two together, and drill. It's not rocket surgery....

We need to see images of these set ups so that we can see how the parts work together.

Version 1 for 15" wheels bolts on 12" rotors and WJ akebono calipers.
Does anybody have a clue what rotors was CobraMarty referring to on his most recent post? WJ bolt pattern doesn't match, most Fords do have appropriate but hard to find info about height and offset of the rotors.

Basically I'm looking for 12" rotors that would fit bolt on, or as near as possible. As I live in EU, I'm probably going for Land Rover 4-piston calipers due to low price and good availability, those are also for 12" rotors.

Sport trac rotors do require you to grind down the outer diameter of the hubs for the rotor to fit on. Not a ton, but it's necessary. You see people say "take the tires off, put it on jacks, put it in 4WD and apply grinder with the engine running". I did that, too, and it's sketchy. Machine shop the hubs, or re-drill the WJ rotors. The grinder trick with a running axle is just not worth it.

You could probably rig up some kind of adapter using an old stub shaft to turn the bearing while using the flap wheel on the OD.

Then again, drilling the WJ rotors wasnt hard at all

Sport trac rotors do require you to grind down the outer diameter of the hubs for the rotor to fit on. Not a ton, but it's necessary. You see people say "take the tires off, put it on jacks, put it in 4WD and apply grinder with the engine running". I did that, too, and it's sketchy. Machine shop the hubs, or re-drill the WJ rotors. The grinder trick with a running axle is just not worth it.

The grinder trick works just fine. Put both axles on jack stands and remove the front wheels. While idling and in 4X4 Drive, hit the hub with a course flapper on the grinder, takes a couple of minutes for each side.
Nothing unsafe or sketchy about it, if done correctly. This is the method Vanco suggest to use, in their conversion kit.

Make sure to grind your spares too.

The grinder trick works just fine. Put both axles on jack stands and remove the front wheels. While idling and in 4X4 Drive, hit the hub with a course flapper on the grinder, takes a couple of minutes for each side.
Nothing unsafe or sketchy about it, if done correctly. This is the method Vanco suggest to use, in their conversion kit.

Make sure to grind your spares too.

Yeah not sure why it's sketchy? I had absolutely no problem doing this on my old XJ when I did the WJ swap.

IMO, there's not much else out there that has a better bang for your buck than the WJ swap. Better steering, better brakes, what's not to love?

In my case I don't want to swap knuckles as I've already upgraded to aftermarket WJ-style steering for stock knuckles. Making an adapter for calipers isn't a big deal, if only caliper and rotor are possible to be made fit in without hitting tre etc.

I guess I will bring this post back from the dead because I just finished my 1st wheeling trip on this setup. I went this direction, instead of doing a WJ swap, because I already had rims I like, the early model knuckles from my MJ & Iron Rock's OTK 5/8" steering.

I am running a 16" Raceline aluminum rim so I settled with the smaller setup: -- WK2 calipers & mounts (for 330mm rotor)
- 2001 Ford SportTrac rotors

Only 1 weekend in and I am super pleased with the setup. The brakes held noticeably better while making steep descents.

I guess I will bring this post back from the dead because I just finished my 1st wheeling trip on this setup. I went this direction, instead of doing a WJ swap, because I already had rims I like, the early model knuckles from my MJ & Iron Rock's OTK 5/8" steering.

I am running a 16" Raceline aluminum rim so I settled with the smaller setup: -- WK2 calipers & mounts (for 330mm rotor)
- 2001 Ford SportTrac rotors

Only 1 weekend in and I am super pleased with the setup. The brakes held noticeably better while making steep descents.

Is it WK or WJ? The WK come out in 2005/6 and had independent (Front) suspension. The knuckles and caliper mounting brackets are one unit that cannot be separated. The '05 to '10 year model which is the WK have the 330MM or 13" rotors. The WK2 have from 2011 to....? have 13.75" which is 350MM.

I thought the Ford Sport Trac rotors were 300MM, same as what came in the small kit from Go-Jeep? but I could be wrong about it. I had this set and the rotors were 12" or 300MM. He also offered a set of 330MM rotors.

My XJ is fitted with the dual calipers and rotors form the WK (2006 to 2011). It took a bit of engineering to fit 330MM and dual calipers to my XJ. It is there for over 6 years and work great. Those are what the XJ should have come with OEM.

Is it WK or WJ? The WK come out in 2005/6 and had independent (Front) suspension. The knuckles and caliper mounting brackets are one unit that cannot be separated. The '05 to '10 year model which is the WK have the 330MM or 13" rotors. The WK2 have from 2011 to....? have 13.75" which is 350MM.

It is 89 & older XJ/MJ knuckles, WK2 calipers and mounts (330mm flavor if you are running 16", if you are running 17/18" wheels you can run the 350mm with Mustang rotors), & 12" Sport Trac rotors. With the way the XJ knuckles are cast, you cannot make a 13" rotor fit but can jump to the 12" Sport Trac.

Back