• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
took the keep out this weekend-- FIRST TIME with my new lift, new wheels, new rear, new transfer case... and of course, I rolled it.

I don't know a ton about body work, even less about unibody. For a repair route, I'm thinking of getting a doner truck, having a body shop weld on a roof, swapping over whatever panels I need, and having a local shop tie in an exoskeleton to the front/rear bumpers/rock rails (haven't gotten that far along in my planning-- the exo will have to happen, just haven't planned it out)

Anyway, anyway.. set the exo aside for now... any suggestions? Is this a gonner? I've considered getting a new vehicle and swapping everything over.. but with all I've done on the motor/suspension/interior, if I can just hand this off to a body guy to fix, I'd rather do that.

ANyway.. here's the carnage:

2u6laqa.jpg

mhfw2c.jpg

How did it happen? Where's the vid? Conditions don't look to bad!

So much for an easy break in =) I would not "hand it off to a body guy" as they will charge you more to repair it than the cost of the jeep and all the upgrades combined. I would find a donor jeep and start swapping goodies. Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

Not sure where you live but I have 2 rolling chassis jeeps with clear papers- both are 1995.

How did it happen? Where's the vid? Conditions don't look to bad!

driver error -- went up and over a nice obstacle with no problem, the exit path was a downward slope with a deceivingly high right camber, I took it too high.. just high enough... and flop.

Video was running the entire time-- unfortunetly, it was my go-pro, which was mounted to the roof.... haven't yet tried to see if it still works.

So much for an easy break in =) I would not "hand it off to a body guy" as they will charge you more to repair it than the cost of the jeep and all the upgrades combined. I would find a donor jeep and start swapping goodies. Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

Not sure where you live but I have 2 rolling chassis jeeps with clear papers- both are 1995.

I know.. all green and blue trails all day, and then that one black obstacle I had to try...

When you say get new chassis vehicle and swap, you mean from my current Cherokee to the new chassis or the other way around? I'd rather weld a new roof on to my current jeep, than switch over the motor, transmission, lift, differnetials, and every other thing I've put into it over the years...

I want to be the first one in with, "cut off the top and cage it."

I'll see myself out.
:wave:

That amount of body work needed to make that work isn't worth it. So IMHO you got 2 choices.

Chop it, cage it and make a buggy

or

Strip it and bolt the parts to a new rig

Sounds Like you already know what you want to do.

I don't -- I didn't mean to make that sound definitive. That's what I'm thinking of doing, but this is completely new territory for me. cutting and caging isn't off the table either , though I assume once I go that route I won't be able to use the truck on the road ...

on a related note -- if I decide to fix up what I have (as opposed to swapping my motor/suspension/etc into a new vehicle), what years should I look for as a donor? I think in 96 they changed the body style, correct? I assume a roof/quarter panels/etc. wouldn't work from anything 96 and newer?

Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

What?

Did nobody read Nealio's post??

I am giving him credit for being the first one.

As to the years the body changed, '96 is the last year of the early version, '97 the first year of the late model.

That said, there are some body differences between the Renix years and the HO years, but AFAIK they are all minor things such as the header panel/grill and the roof racks.

Put me down as thinking your best bet is to get a new chassis/body and transfer things over. I will even go as far as saying that you should start with plating and a cage on the new chassis, then transfer parts over. Perhaps in the interim you can cut the roof off the old one and go topless for the summer, and call that motivation to hurry up and get the new chassis ready for the transfer before the weather changes.

on a related note -- if I decide to fix up what I have (as opposed to swapping my motor/suspension/etc into a new vehicle), what years should I look for as a donor? I think in 96 they changed the body style, correct? I assume a roof/quarter panels/etc. wouldn't work from anything 96 and newer?

98-99 for a newer body style or 93-96 for older. 97 body changed, 95 OBDII came out, 96 has some different things for the fuel system.

What?

Did nobody read Nealio's post??

I am giving him credit for being the first one.

put me down as thinking your best bet is to get a new chassis/body and transfer things over. I will even go as far as saying that you should start with plating and a cage on the new chassis, then transfer parts over. Perhaps in the interim you can cut the roof off the old one and go topless for the summer, and call that motivation to hurry up and get the new chassis ready for the transfer before the weather changes.

I thank you sir, -I do like the topless summer jeep idea...

Really only 2 options here and they both take work. I know what I would do- Swap it all over an build it better in the process- then learn the limits of my newly lifted xj :roll:

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but if I were to weld on a new roof I think I'd want a cage as well.

Honestly, though, I'd go the donor route. Not counting all the body parts you won't have to swap you may end up with a few nice spares as well.

Replacing the roof, doors, glass, etc. may still put you in the market for a donor.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but if I were to weld on a new roof I think I'd want a cage as well.

Honestly, though, I'd go the donor route. Not counting all the body parts you won't have to swap you may end up with a few nice spares as well.

Replacing the roof, doors, glass, etc. may still put you in the market for a donor.

yeah, I'm definitely getting a donor. body guy looked at it, said it isn't nearly as bad as I described it, that he may be able to straighten out the roof long as I'm not looking for perfection. front and rear passenger doors are ok. Front and driver door needs to be replaced, rear door is actually in good shape, with a big dent in it. none of the glass in the doors broke and other than the driver front, the windows actually still work. front driver/passenger quarter panels need to be replaced.. front clip is surprisingly ok, hood has got dents dings and scratches on it, but all repairable.

Anyway, I'm going to get a better estimate on it as I go forward. As for the roll cage, that's a given at this point. I'm just doing my research, debating whether to go exo or internal. I'm thinking of something like a d&C:
http://dandcextreme.com/extreme-installs/xj-cage-kit-install/

but I don't know anything about the pros/cons of internal/exos, nor do I know anything about how strong an internal cage can be vs. an exo that's tied to the bumpers/rock rails. But there is zero chance I'm taking this out again without a cage in it.

Honestly, for the money it's going to be to have a body shop fix it, I'd spend that on a new donor and cage it. It will be cheaper and stronger and probably look better.

I'm no cage expert but I my understanding is that exo primary is to save the body from being damaged. With a unibody body work is an absolute PITA. Strength wise shouldn't make a difference internal vs exo, more over what tube you use and how it's designed.

Honestly, for the money it's going to be to have a body shop fix it, I'd spend that on a new donor and cage it. It will be cheaper and stronger and probably look better.

This is by far the best option IMO, remember that there is always going to be more hidden cost after the initial estimate. Start fresh and enjoy the build. :yelclap:

The problem I have is swapping everything over to the donor. It literally took me years to put in the 350, transmission, axels, etc. This was the absolute first run I had with everything in place. I don't have the heart or stomach to do everything all over again. I also don't have the room-- when I originally did this work, I had access to a full shop, plenty of room, and guys with years of expertise.

But I hear you-- what you're saying logically makes the most sense, I'm reacting somewhat emotionally. If I can have the body straightened and fixed and caged for a somewhat reasonable price, I'd really at this point be far more inclined to go that route. If I have to swap everything over... I'll end up with two trucks on cinderblocks in my driveway for the next couple of years.

Back