• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baofeng? GMRS that's inexpensive?

But do all the other folks have a gmrs license?

Send/post me a link so I can see what a license does cover. Unless I should figured it out for myself. Being old an all, I think I can

Gmrs license covers you and your immediate family and has better coverage then frs due to higher ourput being allowed. Also not gives you access to repeater networks in certain areas.

Now back to my question - any radio recommendations from those that use it?

Anak - do you know about the radios or no? If not, you're not adding value. Learn what GMRS license covers before you post.

Learning was precisely the purpose of my question.

Is this another pop quiz?

Man, I hate these things.

:rattle:

You want to learn? Google or start a separate thread. Getting back to the question at hand: to those that use GMRS - which radios do you use? How do you like them?

I'm pretty sure Anak understands the technology. I'm pretty sure he's much more of a radio nerd than you are (and much more so than I).

I think GMRS is a dead-end. You end up with a typically cheap handheld that's more of a toy. Mobile GMRS rigs are few and far between and expensive if you can have them. You have a license that is more expensive than an amateur license, the only difference is no test (which is a pretty easy test). I see little value in GMRS and less in FRS.

2M is a superior platform with nice inexpensive mobile rigs and the previously mentioned dirt cheap handhelds as an option. You have a much wider frequency range to use so when you're in a populated area you don't have as much traffic issues. The licensing is inexpensive and test easy to pass with just a bit of studying. I own five or six Baofeng radios and as anybody whose been at an event with me in the past few years can attest I hand them out like candy to use on our simplex frequency. There have been a few people who have developed an interested in the technology directly because of this when they see how much nicer they are than CB radio. Legally there is no difference between handing out a GMRS to an unlicensed person verses handing out a 2m so why go with the more limited, crippled technology?

And if he knows so much about radios why is it that he didn't add any value but rathet chose to stir stuff up? Is that indicative of the type of a person he is?

And if he knows so much about radios why is it that he didn't add any value but rathet chose to stir stuff up? Is that indicative of the type of a person he is?

I thought you might have some brilliant insight of which I was completely unaware with regard to this:

Legally there is no difference between handing out a GMRS to an unlicensed person verses handing out a 2m so why go with the more limited, crippled technology?

It would appear that you know something which I do not, and consequently that you would be able to teach me. Thus far it hasn't happened.

But I do thank you for not questioning my mother's species or for suggesting I go perform impossible acts upon myself. I have to grant this is a welcome improvement over a similar, recent past interchange.

Thank you.

License applies to me and my immediate family. This covers me for what I need it to do. I asked for radio recommendations. That's it....

Back