• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I eliminate the trans line fittings?

eric©

NAXJA Forum User
Attempting to repair a decent leak coming out of the forward quick disconnect fitting on my 94 Cherokee (auto trans). Went to a dozen different parts stores, and none had the fitting. Finally ended up at the dealer, got the fitting, put it in, and now the leak has turned into a gusher. Assuming I was given the wrong fitting. Even tried to fudge it by putting in some different sized O-rings I had lying around.

By the time any of my friends are available to give me a ride up to the dealer, they'll be closed, and I really don't want to miss any more work.

Can I get a hose barb fitting or similar to fit into the trans, and just run a length of rubber hose to the existing cooler line until I can get the proper fitting to go in there?

I did, but I think somebody on here posted a part number for a repair kit. Can't remember but I think it was a NAPA number. I may be totally off base on this, but call and check.

Bumping this for 5-90 - he's got something in the works to replace this part. I've got something in the works to explain how that assembly works, but my camera is kaput again...

Jim

The part I'm working on will actually eliminate that QD fitting entirely, in favour of a -6 flare. Should be a direct screw-in to the transmission, you'll have to either put fittings on the cooling lines or replace them entirely.

I've been too busy to talk to my machine shop lately (been on the mend, and sleeping 16-20 hours a day digs into your time - but I should be back on my feet in a fortnight...) but he's cleaning up the designs, and I should be able to get a set to prototype shortly (along with my fan clutch eliminator...)

5-90

well, unfortunetly that adapter does me no good at this moment, but I'm most certainly interested in those things in the future :)

For now tho, after some other searching, it looks as if the threaded end of the fitting is a M14x1.5, is this correct? Hopefully I can find something at the parts store or home depot to fit in there so I can get to work tomorrow.

Back