• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mod

Pnwxj808

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made there own rear bumper brackets for an aftermarket bumper? Not unibody tie in brackets but actual rear bumper brackets? I bought an EAG swing gate bumper off someone but they kept the bracket for mounting it for another bumper they had. I cannot find a re make of that bracket anywhere online! I need some help I’m about to use the original bumper brackets and just cut it and add a plate to bolt the bumper to. Does anyone have any better ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't use some sort of "tie-in" the bumper won't be any better than a factory bumper! You wouldn't be able to carry a spare safely.

Pics of what you have to work with would help!

983f820db9c1073083131e7d2438dcc1.jpg

These are the original brackets I was going to cut the bracket flush and add a steel plate at the end to bolt up the bumper

983f820db9c1073083131e7d2438dcc1.jpg

These are the original brackets I was going to cut the bracket flush and add a steel plate at the end to bolt up the bumper

The idea is that if you don't cut into the "frame" rail and run bolts from the bottom, you are just bolting a bumper to a single plane of 16ish gauge steel. The linked above ebay mounts seem like a great value compared to making your own, which is what I had to do 10 years about ago.

Otherwise you can just get some rectangles of sheet steel or flat stock and drill your own holes. Or you could cut the factory mount to fit your needs. It won't be very strong though.

What do the "bumper" mount requirements look like?

Toss it on the top and be done with it. Just build a normal bumper

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Take a pic of the back side of the bumper!

85bec4eb9d411b1fbf0a03446a8e7b3a.jpg

The bracket needs to be Similar to this bracket

Again that's not enough, the brackets Evan linked would be a good start.

That looks like it should directly bolt up, but you definitely need the tie-ins.

He basically needs a spacer to extend the Jeep 4 hole bolt pattern back about 3 inches so the bumper is in the correct position.
I don't recall ever seeing what your needing. That's a strange bumper mount. Almost as though that bumper fits other things as well as the xj...

Evan and rcp are right though. I would never use the rear bumper for tire storage or a recovery point without a proper tie in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back