• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 sport no gauge illumination after LED install

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, recently picked up a clean, rust free 99 4.0 with 186k on it for a steal to run as a daily driver, currently in the maintenence and repair stages. Has some minor issues to address, but nothing too bad (age related and general repairs/overhauls, bad heater core is worst issue)

Having an issue with my dash illumination. Installed LED backlighting in the cluster last night, tested and worked fine until i got everything back together. Now nothing. Gauges, indicators, etc all work fine. Dome lighting all works (switched to LED, still looking for footwell LED 631 bulbs). Hvac illumination is inop also. Factory radio was flaky when i purchased, would not power on and when it did would cut sound to the one working speaker and illumination/clock when moving mid/bass/treble sliders. Already removed to install a dual din unit and new wiring pulled for new speakers.

Fuses checked, replaced #2 our 25 amp cigar lighter fuse and #6 5a that were blown, no change. All other fuses look ok, in cabin.

Factory fog switch is also dead and has been since before all of this. Fogs do not work, but is a non issue as i will be installing a Rallylights.com upgraded relayed harness for new LED headlights, light bar, and fogs, along with upgraded grounds and battery cables.

Im stumped. Can anyone who’s dealt with similar issues point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Also, side note: can anyone confirm that a Moog DS1430 TJ tie rod will work on a stock XJ?

Possibly related also: the fuel gauge was inop when i purchased the vehicle. It has since started working again, however accuracy is suspect. It will occassionally slow sweep up then reads fast coming back down. Before this it was dead 2/3 of the time and if i cycled the ignition a couple times then waited to start the vehicle it would work.

For the HVAC illumination check to see if it is getting power when you expect it to, if not start tracing back. Same for the cluster. I would check first right at the switch. If power is coming in and out then you know that isn’t the problem. Then check that illumination power supply line coming out of the switch where it feeds into the cluster. If no power there when you expect it and the switch works you know that is your problem. If there is still power there then there is a break somewhere within your cluster.
Or, the leds you installed are not getting enough volts or amps. If your dimmer rheostat is faulty it will not provide enough power. To check it first see that it is receiving 12v then watch the voltage drop or climb on your multi meter as your adjust the brightness. Most LEDs are not “dimmable” unless they are specifically designed to be and even then a voltage that turns them on might be much higher than an incandescent bulb would have required.
Also having a factory service manual for your year is absolutely priceless when it comes to electrical problem. Download one online for $30 or less. You will get your money’s worth the first time you use it.

I went back to the stock bulbs that were in the cluster. I did have a couple fuses i needed to replace too, one being the 5a for instrument cluster. Still no lights. New stereo unit lights up fine though...

I’ll check the headlight switch and plug first to see if it shorted there or melted the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently fixed. No clue how. Replaced headlight switch and pulled the cluster, then reinstalled. Also replaced 2 blown fuses and reseated connections to the rear wiper switch, fog switch, and defroster switches and made sure the bulbs were connected properly there.

I’ll be damned they started working again.

Now i have a no bus issue though after headliner replacement

Fixed, but blowing bulbs. Cheap ebay leds and holders. Looks good overall though when working 100%.

Shift indicator light needs to stay with a white bulb. T-case bulb can change to red

Back