• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ fuel filter

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my fuel tank to get to some rust.. Jeep has 250k mi on it, tank has never been touched. Fuel pump seems to be working ok.. Should I leave it alone, change the filter/regulator (~$50), or just get a whole new fuel pump unit (~$70)?

Since the tank is out you might as well install fresh parts. 250k -300k is about as many miles as you might expect from a fuel pump.

If you install a generic auto parts store fuel pump assembly, or a Carter fuel pump assembly, expect it last maybe 16 months if you are lucky. ONLY install a Bosch or genuine Jeep fuel pump assembly. Yes, they are expensive but well worth the extra coin in reliability/longevity.

I changed my whole assembly with a Bosch unit at around 250K as well, and the fuel level sending unit lasted around 6 months. Next time around I will replace pump and strainer only. Anyone else experience the same?

I changed my whole assembly with a Bosch unit at around 250K as well, and the fuel level sending unit lasted around 6 months. Next time around I will replace pump and strainer only. Anyone else experience the same?

I was thinking of doing the same. I guess I'd need the pump, a new gasket, the 2 strainers, and the filter/regulator that goes on top. Anything else?

Back