• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ 4x4 Speedo is dead. Please help

Reapa-Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
it is a 6 cyl, automatic trans. I have replaced the vss sensor and it did nothing. I also swapped in a different instrument cluster thinking the speedo itself was bad, but no change.

This happens the day before i am supposed to take a 1,200 mile trip in it across 4 states.

I went to start it up and it just wouldn't move at all, regardless of speed. Everything else on my Xj works perfectly. I take great care of it, and it shows. So very frustrated i can't figure this out.

I have not been able to find if there is a specific fuse related to the speedo itself and not the other gauges. either info is hard to find on this, or my search chops are worse than i imagined.

Any help would be great. thank you in advance

Isn't the plug that goes into the back of the cluster notoriously problematic on the 97+? Been awhile since I had one apart. Does it still shift and drive normally? Cruise still work?

While that's true, it also knocks out the entire cluster.

You did pull out the gear to inspect it? On my jeep the sensor was not properly clocked. I just clocked it for the proper tooth count and all was good. Granted I'm 15% off lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

To clarify, everything else works perfectly on this jeep, electrical, gauges, mechanically. The speedo will not twitch or move at all under any conditi0ons, while all other gauges are perfect. i checked all the teeth on the two plugs inside the dash for the instrument cluster and they all appear to be in place and undamaged and mating with the sockets perfectly.

You did pull out the gear to inspect it? On my jeep the sensor was not properly clocked. I just clocked it for the proper tooth count and all was good. Granted I'm 15% off lol

not sure which gear you mean. gauge went from operating normally the night before to dead the next morning. i pulled the VSS sensor which looked fine and replaced it with a brand new one which seated correctly but did not fix the issue.

I meant the gear that sits below the housing on the speed sensor. Here you can see what it should look like. Also, it's worth pulling that assembly and taking a look at the plastic gear on the output shaft. Mine hadn't been clocked properly, so the gears weren't meshing and the VSS read. It also chewed up the gears a bit.
cf49dbe98be27ed9564e12acc2ce2672.jpg
8531abe5e45df94e513a8d1dc8b24f69.jpg

I meant the gear that sits below the housing on the speed sensor. Here you can see what it should look like. Also, it's worth pulling that assembly and taking a look at the plastic gear on the output shaft. Mine hadn't been clocked properly, so the gears weren't meshing and the VSS read. It also chewed up the gears a bit.
cf49dbe98be27ed9564e12acc2ce2672.jpg
8531abe5e45df94e513a8d1dc8b24f69.jpg

Ok. thank you SO much for the reply, i will be checking this first thing at sun-up in the morning. also i just checked and the cruise control no longer works and there is also a check engine light now

Yep cruise control wont work as it only works between 25 MPH and 90 MPH. As soon as I fixed mine cruise control stated to work. I also had a check engine light but knew I needed an O2 sensor. As soon as I swapped the sensor and fixed the speedo all was good so I didn't look into it any further

i was mistaken. the cruise control is out as well as a check engine light. i will need to find a computer to pull the code, not sure what it will tell me though other than speedo out.

Yep cruise control wont work as it only works between 25 MPH and 90 MPH. As soon as I fixed mine cruise control stated to work. I also had a check engine light but knew I needed an O2 sensor. As soon as I swapped the sensor and fixed the speedo all was good so I didn't look into it any further

this is encouraging. thanks again! i hope i can pull it and see that it just needs a simple gear replacement. also, if that is the case, that i can get a replacement for it before our trip begins in the afternoon. i will post an update when i try the gear!

It shouldn't be hard to source, assuming you have a local junkyard. Worst case scenario download a good speedometer app for your phone.

It shouldn't be hard to source, assuming you have a local junkyard. Worst case scenario download a good speedometer app for your phone.

having trouble determining how many teeth my XJ is supposed to have, i am seeing 32 teeth, 34, and 39 teeth gears.

Yeah, i will definitely be using an app for speed on the trip, but rest in piece my foot without cruise control, sadly

Depending how it shipped from the factory there are a few different options. Also you can get different gears for when you change tire size. They are all different colors and have the tooth count right in the gear though so easy to ID. Feel free to post up some pictures if you have any questions

Depending how it shipped from the factory there are a few different options. Also you can get different gears for when you change tire size. They are all different colors and have the tooth count right in the gear though so easy to ID. Feel free to post up some pictures if you have any questions

Fantastic! will do. Thanks for all the help, need-a-bow

So i pulled the gear expecting to see the teeth missing or damaged, and it was perfect. in a moment of frustration i slapped the dangling plug wires for the vss sensor and felt a sharp poke on my hand when i did it. i investigated and discovered that some small rodent chewed through one of the 3 wires as well as the black plastic cover for the wiring at the same place about 8-9 inches up from the plug. i put everything back together and reconnected the chewed wire and, bingo bango bongo, speedo and cruise control are working once more.

If not for the suggestion to go back under and check the gear i likely would have not noticed the wire before our trip in a few hours here. so thank you once again need-a-bow. I also learned a little more about the system thanks to the comments. Much appreciated

I read this thread early Saturday and filed your findings away in the memory
banks. Good thing I did! My 99 XJ threw P0340 code indicating Camshaft
Position sensor fault.
I checked the wire harness that connects to the sensor and found two of the
conductors had exposed wire that may have shorted. Repaired the harness and the fault is gone!
Thanks Reapa-Jeep and thanks NAXJA :D:thumbup:

I read this thread early Saturday and filed your findings away in the memory
banks. Good thing I did! My 99 XJ threw P0340 code indicating Camshaft
Position sensor fault.
I checked the wire harness that connects to the sensor and found two of the
conductors had exposed wire that may have shorted. Repaired the harness and the fault is gone!
Thanks Reapa-Jeep and thanks NAXJA :D:thumbup:

Have to be honest. when i figured out my issue i was a bit embarrassed i didn't find the issue before i posted here. So glad my ordeal actually helped someone else! glad you tracked it down!!!

Back