• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone here ever convert their lines over to AN/PTFE?

didymus

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am in the process of doing my transmission lines, but eventually I'm going to convert as much as I possibly can.

Anyway, if there is anyone well-versed in this I'd like to maybe ask you a few questions. I think I have nearly everything covered, but I am having trouble finding a 6 AN fitting for a fluid temperature probe that goes to a gauge controller.

I know this isn't a very common "mod", but there has got to be some Jeepspeed/prerunner type folks in here that can help me.

Thank you!

There are a number of companies that make couplers with 1/8" NPT female threads as a tee into the fitting. What are the threads on you temperature sensor?

A side comment is that while stainless steel braided PTFE hose is the least expensive, stainless braid scratches everything it touches. Its amazingly good it is at scratching stuff. The kevlar braided stuff is ridiculously expensive, but there are a few brands that use stainless reinforcement with a nylon outer braid. Or you could go with synthetic rubber (fluoroelastomer). Its perfectly good stuff.

A side comment is that while stainless steel braided PTFE hose is the least expensive, stainless braid scratches everything it touches. Its amazingly good it is at scratching stuff.

It doesn't just scratch--it is like a saw. It will abrade its way through just about anything it can vibrate against.

That's child's play, you haven't lived until you grounded one out against the battery!

plain ole rubber hose, a barb and hose clamp work fine for this application. AN fittings are over kill$$$$$$ in my opinion, but hey what ever floats your boat. and yes, stainless braided hoses can cut thru stuff they rub against. tranny cases cut with a big gash thru the top. opps! if you sue them, secure them to prevent rubbing!

It's goes both ways depending on what your trying to accomplish! The SS lines provide extra physical protection from abuse and nobody complains about their SS brake hoses. If you want to go with cloth you have to make some sacrifices but it's still a good hose. Here's some black cloth hose I used on another project.
P1080848(1).JPG

So what size is your VW motor? what does it push around, a Bug?

Serious about reliability with two coil clamps! I like that.

tell us more about this cool motor!

"Dr Dirt" is a 1968 baja bug with a 1955cc stroker!
P1080864(1).JPG

plain ole rubber hose, a barb and hose clamp work fine for this application. AN fittings are over kill$$$$$$ in my opinion, but hey what ever floats your boat. and yes, stainless braided hoses can cut thru stuff they rub against. tranny cases cut with a big gash thru the top. opps! if you sue them, secure them to prevent rubbing!

It will work...but why not do it right the first time?

I've got AN fittings on two different AW4s (daily and my buggy). Once you start moving to AN fittings, putting barb on anything just seems...not worth it.

I've used a An -6 to a 18/" NPT T for transmission temp. I searched my notes, but I don't recall where I sourced it. I'd bet its a Parker fitting though.. or from mcmaster. This is the closest I have found doing a quick search: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm2884

P1260590.JPG

Back