• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine block swap

four_shot

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So.....We scrapped Babs a few months ago. I thought to my self it was time, She had a good life, it was time to put her down.

It left a hole in my heart. Apparently my wife felt the same way...Because, about a month ago (completely unprompted!:loveu:), my wife located a basket case, 99 4dr, one county over .
We had the liquid cash so I went out to look at it.

What I found:
The guy pulled the entire powertrain out and had it in his garage. Apparently it was smoking, and knocking. He thought it needed a flex plate.

He then got a hold of a 96 parts truck and decided to swap the whole package. engine, trans, transfer case...everything.

Then COVID19 struck. He lost momentum and also found out there were some incompatibilities. His wife said "Jeeps gotta go."

What I did:
I scoop the truck, both powertrains, and a whole bunch of incidental parts (intakes, drive shafts, etc.) for $500.

Last week, I split the 99 engine and trans and get it on the stand.

This is what I found:

1) a relatively new flex-plate, no signs of cracking around the crank bolts, or converter bolts.

2) The lower 50% of the drivers side ear for the block to bell housing bolt is missing. It was being held by an extended length nut and bolt with some janky bracing that left a lot to be desired.

3)The rods didn't feel excessively loose on the the crank when i pulled the pan (Kinda scary with only 3 bolts holding it on the stand...lol)

So, I made the executive decision to abandon the short block and use the 96 casting.

My research says that the cranks are the same. The cams however, are not.
So my question is this...

Is there a difference in the casting of the block between 96 and 99 that would prevent a cam swap?

I plan on using all new bearings and lifters, as well as the 99 head, pushrods and rockers.

Thanks for your time!

Ss far as I know they are the same. I've switched entire engines across those years but never tried mixing and matching the internals. You will need to use new lifters.

The cam change was in 2000 but they all still interchange with the correct timing set. I'm running a '98 cam in my 2000.

i plan to keep as much of the 99 as possible.

Back