• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 trans slips in drive not in 1st gear

Finally arrived yesterday and BUMMER, other than rule out the TCM, it did nothing to fix the issue! I'm almost spent here on what is the root problem. With the wrong signals out the TCM box feeding the solenoid harness, those 2 components are also no longer suspect.

Finally arrived yesterday and BUMMER, other than rule out the TCM, it did nothing to fix the issue! I'm almost spent here on what is the root problem. With the wrong signals out the TCM box feeding the solenoid harness, those 2 components are also no longer suspect.

Sounds like you're ruled out the wiring and TCM. Any chance you pinched one of the cooler lines? At this point, I would still suspect a bad solenoid or a valve body problem.

Agree and no lines pinched but should verify flow thru the radiator. I think this problem is on the run. Just road tested after attempt at clearing the computer and its consistently an issue after about 5-7 minutes run time. Cold its ok. I'm going to have to recheck all signals from speed sensors and/or TCM solenoid outputs when cold and find out what if anything changes when warm.
thanks again.

Good to know. I had a pair of DVMs hooked up to the A and B solenoid TCM terminals to gather a pass fail, cold warm scenario. I'm getting no consistent correlation between anything. Found 26 ohm resistance to ground at the TCM solenoid ground pin 24. I jumped it to chassis ground and my weak 12v solenoid voltages perked up to 13.6. I figured that would spell relief but no. I would ask where that wire (G101) physically should be grounded but I think I'm about to go there; pulling the harness and solenoids and do a complete inspection, replacing as needed is the proper move now.

The solenoids get there ground through the transmission, they don't have a separate ground back to the TCM. The G101 goes to the bolt near the dipstick with a bunch of grounds. I would pull that apart and clean it up.

If this were an older Renix, I know there is a crimp connection in the big wiring harness along the firewall above the heater hoses where a bunch of ground come together. It's literally just wires crimped together and taped, no butt connector or anything.

Sorry for the lapse, only so much time for my non-paying part time job here, ha. BUT BAD SOLENOIDS! yes more than one. I started out going for the grounds, the G101 for the TCM (black w/tan) lands at a one of a pair of grounds off the block behind the alt. and were questionable but did zilch. On to the solenoid harness; that looked and tested perfect. Pulled soles, one is now open ckt, another didn't actuate at all. Sooo why did all my electrical checks not discover that way sooner? All had 13ohm and pulled .9A all the way back to the TCM. What's more when I first dropped pan I pulled all 3 and bench tested fine. No way I killed them from the 2nd trans pull.
I'm relieved there's a issue to put my finger on finally. Any recommendation for solenoids? I've seen plenty of warnings here about new being junk w folks opting for salvage sources.
heartfelt thanks !!!

Sorry for the lapse, only so much time for my non-paying part time job here, ha. BUT BAD SOLENOIDS! yes more than one. I started out going for the grounds, the G101 for the TCM (black w/tan) lands at a one of a pair of grounds off the block behind the alt. and were questionable but did zilch. On to the solenoid harness; that looked and tested perfect. Pulled soles, one is now open ckt, another didn't actuate at all. Sooo why did all my electrical checks not discover that way sooner? All had 13ohm and pulled .9A all the way back to the TCM. What's more when I first dropped pan I pulled all 3 and bench tested fine. No way I killed them from the 2nd trans pull.
I'm relieved there's a issue to put my finger on finally. Any recommendation for solenoids? I've seen plenty of warnings here about new being junk w folks opting for salvage sources.
heartfelt thanks !!!

I haven't heard of any issues with the generic sets from Amazon aside from a few people mentioning they had to trim the mounting tab a bit to get them to sit right. I've certainly heard and experienced problems with other cheap sensors and injectors though.

Saying goodbye to my non-paying part time job!!! Trans is working fine now. Solenoids did it. For whatever reason the check engine light remains on. it should have cleared after several local trips. Codes did clear for a bit during the intermittent stage of the issue so maybe it's different code.
Can't speak for the solenoids longevity wise of course, but i got them from Global Transmission Parts. 3 pack, filter and gasket kit under $70. Great, fast service and they pick up the phone!
I'll close out here once i get the codes run just to be sure its not trans related still.

Back