• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box question

Im picking my brain to remember who makes the ported cap.

https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17691

Google found this. I dont think this is the one I was thinking of

Pirate4x4.com

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The ported cap runs the problem of the fitting being very hard to access. Musdybeards on YouTube used it and points out the problems. You have to cut the body to get a hose to the cap.

Tap it on the side using the link I posted above from Pirate4x4 install your own fittings with caps until you’re going to install lines and a cooler.

West Texas Off Road is $700 to have a steering box ported and tapped. You have to mail them your box with either option they offer.
A Blue Top is $520 ported and I can't find a Redhead for a cherokee available.
Junk Yard boxes are less than $200 and you can drill it yourself thanks to irate 4x4. It is a 100% brand new unit designed for larger tires and lockers.

PSC Big Bore kit is $850 tapped.

Honestly I'd jump to a PSC if West Texas Off Road is on the table because of getting a 100% brand new unit, and NOT having to ship my steering box to be worked on, or as a core.

If that cost difference was accurate I think a lot more folks would have PSC... the west Texas offroad kit has everything for hydro assist, rebuilt box (send yours or pay a core), tapped for hydro lines, ram, mounts, lines, fittings etc.

The psc comparison is well over 1000$ MORE... 17-1800 bucks- but includes new gear, pump, pully, and remote res... as well as other options to add to it. The $850 is the steering gear alone.

I went with a Durango box, huge difference. I opted for a new one from Rock Auto, can’t remember the price. I think you need ‘98 or ‘99, non-snow plow version. Someone told me that it’s better to get the old Saginaw box, and they’re hard to find. It’s a tight fit, but it bolts right in. Anyway mine has been great for about a year now. Make sure you get a new spacer and double check the aftermarket ones. I had bought a spacer from Iron Rock and had to add a couple washers because of the larger diameter of the whole thing.

Back