• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine wont start... Stuck

Homieguy

NAXJA Forum User
It just died on the x-way. It turns, but doesnt start. I checked the coil, checked the rotor and cap, its getting spark at the cylinders. Checked the map sensor, crank position sensor, fuel pressure, fuses, and relays. I am stuck... i dont know what else to do. I dont have a CEL either. Somebody please help.

Last edited:
If you have spark and fuel the only other item that it could be is ignition timing of some sort, either crankshaft sensor or your distibutor shifted, can you move the distributor without loosening the nut/bolt ? I would start at the beginning, oh by the way what about the fuel pressure regulator on the rail ?

Homieguy said:
No... i am not out of gas.. thats obvious. The fuel pump is fine since i get pressure at the rail.

I just went through this with my 93...pressure yes but not enough it seems. A pump transplant from my 89 organ donor fixed it.

spray some "starting fluid" in the intake.Not much though
3 short blasts should do.If it runs, you may have an injector problem

How much fuel pressure did you have before the transplant? Its not the crank sens. I checked it. The distributor didnt shift either, it wont budge. I also checked the injectors.. they are getting the pulses.

I have heard that if you take the crankshaft sensor off and put it back on then that may work. Mine did the same thing and that is what I did.

jerrywagner said:
Do Not Use Starting Fluid !! Rookie Mistake, You'll Be Sorry

why is that? just curious

homie,

what year?
try disconnecting the cps at the harness and reconnecting.
not the original problem, but the plugs could be soaked with gas by now.
could be fuel pump or clogged filter.
coil wire?

just a few gueses since you have spark and fuel

Homieguy said:
How much fuel pressure did you have before the transplant?

I never actually read it but with the rail primed it could shoot a stream up and hit the hood from the valve. Mine would start but it was a bitch to keep running more than about 10 seconds...the pump could not maintain the pressure with enough volume anymore and it had become noticeably louder so I went with the most likely culprit, got lucky and nailed it. The pressure gauge would have been the correct method but when my pump went bad it was 100 miles from my tools and parts stash so it had to be seat-o-the pants diagnosis for me.

Homieguy said:
95 xj I6 --- i need to check the fuel pressure. but.. would it just die out like that? out of nowhere?

Yep, did it to me a block from the city house...with all the toys back in the country :rattle:

Last edited:
I checked the fuel pressure and its 39 when I turn it on. Around 29 when i try to crank and it drops lower and it fluctuates sometimes.

ANYBODY??? What happened to all you pros that were on here? There has to be somebody that knows about this.
By the way... I sometimes had this wierd problem with the car. Whenever I turned the climate control to anything that had to do with the a/c... the engine would die and it wouldnt start until I moved away from the a/c options. But if i would floor the throttle and then move it to the a/c options.... the engine would die but come back after a second. Its just like somebody pulling the plug on it. Its wierd. I think this problem advanced and thats why I am here now. But i cant find out what it is.

Back