• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Montana

thobson

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to college in Montana in the fall either Bozeman or Missolua and I was wondering if wheeling is big out there and what the trails are like; muddy, rock. . . you know. Some inside from some montana wheelers would be great!

not really much of either. Sorta sucks but both places are extremly green and alot of it gets shut down. There are tons of loggin roads and mining roads however so those are fun to drive. M4x4A.org would be a good place to start.

I went to UofM and loved it. :sunshine: Like Weasel said there's lots of exploring to be done, not sure how much hardcore wheeling there is but I found a few fun trails leading to old mines and stuff in the mountains around Missoula.

TekkaMaki said:
I went to UofM and loved it. :sunshine: Like Weasel said there's lots of exploring to be done, not sure how much hardcore wheeling there is but I found a few fun trails leading to old mines and stuff in the mountains around Missoula.

Holly shit you actually posted?

You lucky SOB. If I'd have gone to college there I wouldn't have gone to college. Hope you have a fly rod.

I know a guy that went to school there and dropped out within the first year b/c he was spending all of his time on the river or tying flies. He chased the fishies for a while and then decided to try Fort Lewis down in Durango b/c he thought there would be less chance if distractions. He made it about a year and a half down there and then dropped out again. Now he's down at Western State in Gunnison. He's got a year to go for a business degree. He picked Gunny b/c it's so bloody cold down there that he thought it would keep him off the water. Wrong. He's a hell of a guide and I'm sure his business degree will really come in handy for making his passion his livelihood. I HATE him.

-river

Yeah im really excited just got back from montana visit this weekend and it's oging to be a great place lol school will be hard though with all the fishing and snowboarding right out my door. But sure didn't see any rigs out there which is killing me i cant imagine going so long without wheeling. But hopefully I'll be having too much fun to notice.

I like CO a ton but I'd pick up and head to Montana in a heart beat. I just know she wouldn't go for it. She has something against living hand to mouth just to chase fish.

You obviously:

A. Do not fly fish

B. Have never fished the water that Montana has to offer.

Just thinking about the possibilities makes me :rattle:

That's it....I'm calling in tomorrow and going fishing. You saps have fun in the salt mines.

i've heard they have a some prarie dog problems:firedevil

All true and Colorado has some fantastic water. But...the Madison, Missouri, Yellowstone, the Gallatin. Ummmmm.....I gotta go now. Somethings come up. :eek:

I lived in Missoula for a couple of years and my Sister has lived in Bozeman for a very long time.

IMO both places suck bad for wheeling. Great exploring and beautiful scenery but I couldn't deal with all the greenies.(my sister included)

Like Riverfever said...If you like to fish Montana is top notch but I would take Colorado over Mt any day of the week because it isn't so liberal.

Yeah...Colorado being as Conservative as it is....is a good thing. I haven't been here for a year yet but I am still blown away at how conservative it is. The head counselor at the school I work at is crazy conservative. I have a guy on my caseload that is going through some sexual identity issues and I thought the counselor was going to throw up when he showed up last week semi-drag. I know she was doing some hard prayin' when she finally went in her office and closed the door.

I live in Utah which is more crazy Conservative then Colorado is and I don't like it. However with my lifestyle and the things I like to do for hobbies a Conservative place is just better.

I can see both sides of most issues....until it comes to the Environmentalist agenda. Then I just wish I could buy a hunting tag for a few of them.

I live in Montana, I lived in Missoula for a while and now I live in Hamilton in the Bitterroot Valley. It is absolutely beautiful up here. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of people into wheeling around here, I usually go with me and a couple buddies up in the woods or play in the snow this time of year, I didn't have a 4x4 when I lived in Missoula, so I never have wheeled up that way, just down here in the valley at various places. I think I own 1 of 2 lifted cherokees in Hamilton where I live, it seems that most every lifted jeep you see is a wrangler. This is definately jeep country though!!!

Back