• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 110V welder work for locking the rear?

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Ive decided to weld the spiders on my 8.25(please dont try to change my mind...im set in my ways!! :laugh3: ) and was wondering if a 135 AMP lincoln mig is gonna be enough to weld this up, penetration wise? Any advice other than "dont weld it"?

Jeffro600 said:
Ive decided to weld the spiders on my 8.25(please dont try to change my mind...im set in my ways!! :laugh3: ) and was wondering if a 135 AMP lincoln mig is gonna be enough to weld this up, penetration wise? Any advice other than "dont weld it"?

Dont weld it. :)

Jeffro600 said:
Any advice other than "dont weld it"?
Hmmmm....nope.

Will JBWeld work???:laugh3:

It'll work in a pinch.
At Winterfest, I blew up the welded spiders in my rearend and had no other alternative.
LBEXJ had a spare set and a 110 welder. (thanks again!)
I preheated the gears with my oxy/acetylene torch and welded them with the 110 flux welder.
Held great and after about six months I pulled the carrier and ran over it all with a 220 mig just to be sure.
If I weren't in a campground, I would have found a bigger welder, no question.

to do it right ..no 110 won't be enough. spider gears are hard enough to stop the 110 from getting the penetration you need. I don't think there is anything wrong with a lincoln locker in an off road rig , they have been around a long time and work and hold up well when done right

Ridr said:
they have been around a long time and work and hold up well when done right
Even still....

is.php

Guys, im completely aware of the pros/cons of welding a rear end and accept the risks involved....it was just a simple question if it could be done or not with a 110 unit....thanks to whoever answered.

Jeffro600 said:
Guys, im completely aware of the pros/cons of welding a rear end and accept the risks involved....it was just a simple question if it could be done or not with a 110 unit....thanks to whoever answered.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm an advocate of welding.
But, you asked about a 110 welder......
Do you want advice or just one word answers?

truth of the matter is your 135 amp lincon will do it, and itll stay, weld a bolt in between all the intersections of the gears, turn the heat up, the feed down and go at it nice and slow......take the carrier out first....

i did mine w/ a 250amp stick welder, and used a whole stick of 6013 in each intersection, and both of them have been fine (front and rear d44's)

BrettM said:
I would try to find a friend with a bigger welder.

Though with a good pre-heat I would still trust it. Just weld a piece of 1/4" plate on both sides like this:

what if he needs to change an axle shaft?

or re-install the carrier for that matter...

8.25 is a c-clip axle...

XJ_ranger said:
what if he needs to change an axle shaft?

or re-install the carrier for that matter...

8.25 is a c-clip axle...

then he will need to replace the whole axle

Thanks guys...i think im going to go ahead and do it with my 135...pre-heating it with a torch. Worse case, i grenade the rear end...no big deal. Will give me an excuse to upgrade!

Back