• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anybody read?

JeepFreak21 said:
...books, I mean? My new job has a lot of downtime and I'm looking for some recommendations. I just finished Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) and I'm almost through The Virtue of Selfishness (Ayn Rand).
Billy

Pretty much anything by P.J. O'Rourke - here's a sample.

i used to read alot more than i do now, have half a library boxed up in my parents basement, what type of reading are you into...i like real life sorta stuff. like a i sorta aspire to going west and jumping into a forest fire someday, so i bought a couple books that where written by jumpers about their experinces while out on the fire season, i also read alot of history stuff and action fiction stuff, let me know what type of stuff you enjoy and i might be able to recommend something...
Maier

Some favoured authors:
Tom Robbins
Kurt Vonnegut
Charles Bukowski
Isaac Asimov
Robertson Davies
Saki

If you have never read philosophy, I highly recommend it. It will open your eyes and likely your mind. Start with the historical ones and work forwards in time:
Plato
Aristotle
Da Vinci
Rene Descartes
Soren Kierkegaard
Bertrand Russell
Friedrich Nietzche
Karl Marx
Jurgen Habermas
Marcel Foucault

Anything by Larry Niven. Also try Jack Chalker, specifically the "Well of Souls" trilogy. Maybe "Event Horizon" by Phol.

EDIT: Just starting Dante's "Inferno" (translation by Anthony Esolen)

I'm diggin' philosophy so far, but I've found that I much prefere it with a story behind it.
Billy

Beej said:
Some favoured authors:
Tom Robbins
Kurt Vonnegut
Charles Bukowski
Isaac Asimov
Robertson Davies
Saki

If you have never read philosophy, I highly recommend it. It will open your eyes and likely your mind. Start with the historical ones and work forwards in time:
Plato
Aristotle
Da Vinci
Rene Descartes
Soren Kierkegaard
Bertrand Russell
Friedrich Nietzche
Karl Marx
Jurgen Habermas
Marcel Foucault

Ooh... Forgot Philip K. Dick, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kurtz, and William Gibson to name a few if you're into Science Fiction.

philisophy, thats way outta my league, good luck reading man...that stuff gives me headaches....
Maier

any michael crichton book with the exception of the terminal man which i have tried to rread 3 times and just cant ever finish, other htan that all his books are golden

JeepFreak21 said:
I've read a few of his, but it's been a while. Airframe was the last one.
Billy

Me too.

I like to read the New Yorker magazine, but I'm a bit of a snob.

JP magazine, petersons, 4 wheeler, Guns and ammo, sport shooter, you name it.

olivedrabcj7 said:
JP magazine, petersons, 4 wheeler, Guns and ammo, sport shooter, you name it.

Redneck Monthly?

JeepFreak21 said:
...books, I mean? My new job has a lot of downtime and I'm looking for some recommendations. I just finished Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) and I'm almost through The Virtue of Selfishness (Ayn Rand).
Billy

Pick up a copy of the "Unabridged Mark Twain". It contains all of his works. There are two volumes, and I got both at a used bookstore for a five spot.

"Roughing It" is a particularly good story of Nevada and California history, including a bunch of stuff on our neck of the woods.

"The Burglar Alarm" still has me rolling, and I've read it about a dozen times.

The wit of Samuel Clemens is phenomenal. Some of the cleverness hits you two days later......

CRASH

Oh, and I just got through the entire 1987 Jeep Cherokee Factory Service Manual.

Gripping.

The Renix engine management section was particularly thought-provoking.

CRASH

Bent said:
Anything by Larry Niven. Also try Jack Chalker, specifically the "Well of Souls" trilogy. Maybe "Event Horizon" by Phol.

EDIT: Just starting Dante's "Inferno" (translation by Anthony Esolen)
Nice selection Tim :D
A really good one to add from the fantasy realm woudl be Amber by Roger Zelazny.
From action, I'd say Bourne Trilogy by Ludlum (way better then the movies) and anything by Alistair MacClean.

Back