NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 9th, 2018, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

98 xj door lock problems

My door locks don't work when the keyless entry module is plugged in when I remove the module the locks will unlock only . if I push the switch to lock position the doors unlock when the I push the switch to unlock it unlocks . I can bypass the switch and lock the door . I replaced both l/r door switches . it seems like the switches default to unlock only when the keyless entry module is removed am I right. this is driving me crazy
Old May 9th, 2018, 19:32
NAXJA Member

Re: 98 xj door lock problems

how are the batteries in the fob ?
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:34
NAXJA Forum User

I don't have the fobs . I'm just trying to use the interior lock switches .
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:46
Freakish Hand Strength

Wire harness issues in the drivers door and the tailgate are very common. Begin with some basic trouble shooting, visually inspect the wire harnesses for damaged wires, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices. Test wire continuity. Test the locking solenoids by applying 12 volts directly. Clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms.

The keyless entry module should have no effect upon the electric locks, unless it has its own issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; May 10th, 2018 at 15:42.
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:57
NAXJA Forum User

I repaired the harness in the drivers door. I pulled the harness from the the passengers side and inspected the wires and found a small crack In 1 wire I repaired that . I will go over the harness see if I missed other damaged wires . I will check the lift gate harness .thanks
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

found the problem the lock and unlock wires were cut behind the drivers kick also the new passengers switch is bad . I put the old switch back in all is good thanks for the help .