• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harness connector question

premoxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the valve cover gasket today and found something interesting adn didnt have much time to investigate further...there's a back connector coming out of the main loom just behind the cyl head aimed towards the transmission (next to a large white one, comes out at the same point). its not connected to anything but has an a pair of aligator clips tied together jumpering out two pins. any idea what this could be? i'm thinking maybe it goes to the sensors in the transmission? i searched for a bit on the internet and i'm coming up with nothing. cant really seem to find a good diagram for the harness..

currently you can start it in any gear, back up lights dont work (i use back rock lights to reverse) and cruise control doesnt work. maybe the previous owner jumpered out the connector to fool the ECU to think its in park so it'll start??

582020d1362895903-san-diego-area-imag2007.jpg

Last edited:
Could be the Neutral Safety Switch connector. Yup looks like its going down into the transfer case / trans. I'm not 100% sure on the no cruise control but the NSS will throw off the rest of it (lights and starting in gears).

Yeah pretty sure that's the NSS.

What year XJ?

I think one of them is for the solenoids and speed sensor(s), but yeah, one's for the NSS for sure. Just curious what year as I'd expect to see a CEL on a late model with that kind of NSS shenanigans going on and don't recall which year uses the connector pictured.

Pretty sure that is an "Uncle Bob" special.

I think one of them is for the solenoids and speed sensor(s), but yeah, one's for the NSS for sure. Just curious what year as I'd expect to see a CEL on a late model with that kind of NSS shenanigans going on and don't recall which year uses the connector pictured.

Looks like the connectors on my Renix Jeeps.

One connector carries TPS, solenoid signals etc. The other is Power/Comfort switch and NSS for the most part.

Yeah pretty sure that's the NSS.

What year XJ?

crap, i always forget this forum doesnt show your year JP. lol its a 92. i'm guessing nuetral safety switch, but i didnt see the other end of it, just that guy there. provided it was getting dark, cold and i was getting lazy. LOL i'll crawl under there again and have another look. that's what i'm guessing it is, it would explain a lot, ya know!? I'm trying to wrap my head around why the previous owner jumpered those two wires out. he said the transmission and top end had recently been rebuilt prior to my purchasing it

From the picture it looks rigged up.
I would make the connections a little tighter and then leave it. You dont really need a NSS I bypassed mine the same way.

Yeah, you need an NSS. At least if you have to have silly things like reverse lights :rolleyes:

On a 92 it makes sense that you wouldn't get a CEL from that backyard "fix", anything before a 97 basically ignores the TCU and the 96-down TCU is retarded about detecting any kind of a fault anyhow.

ECU has nothing to do with the starter drive circuitry on XJs - the ignition switch "hot in start" pin drives a relay that powers the starter solenoid. Starter solenoid engages the starter and off you go. The trick is that on automatics with an NSS and manuals with a clutch safety switch (only installed in 97 and later XJs) the other side of the starter relay coil is grounded through the NSS or CSS, so without one of those, the starter relay will never engage, so the starter solenoid will never get powered. That jumper just permanently grounds the negative side of the starter relay coil so that any time it gets power from the ignition switch start terminal it'll pull in and power the solenoid.

I didnt get any CEL on my 2000 either.
All it does is give your starter signal, so as long as youre not silly enough to start it in gear you should be a ok!

You are wrong about the NSS on late model XJs, I'll just leave it at that.

thanks guys. PS, i have back up lights. i have two rock lights on my rear bumper just below the tail lights. i've just been using those when i back up. it gets the point across ;)

Kastein, that's more or less what i was thinking that jumper was for. thanks for the input, much appreciated :)

see! backup lights!
lol
077_zpsd835f022.jpg

looks good!
Not having backup lights at night time sucks! Almost makes me want to go buy the $300 NSS!
Has anyone ever questioned why a majority plastic switch costs $300?

yea, its ridiculous!! there's a dude in OZ that has a write up on how to rebuild the thing. i have the link somewhere. i honestly had zero idea i didnt have back up lights for quite some time...then one day i realized it would start in gear, etc. and then i realized why people were absolute jerks when i was trying to back out of a spot...LOL! i just figured the switch had crapped out and really just left it at that. This find yesterday is really answering some questions. Now i just have to try to find the other end because i sure as hell havent seen it and i have plenty of hours under this thing now...then again, i wasnt really looking for a harness not being connected anywhere obscure.

Last edited:
Haha I have the same problem people give me looks.
If there is anything left is should be on the right side of the trans right above the pan.
Little flat rod sticking out at the exact opposite side of where the shift cable connects.

Back