• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque specs for "thrust bearing cap"

SicNastyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So according to my haynes manual as i'm reassembling the 4.0 for my 2001 XJ i see that i'm supposed to torque all the main caps to 80 ft/lbs then torque the thrust bearing cap to 10-12 ft/lbs. Next i have to push the crank back and forth to seat it then retorque all the main caps.......BUT i'm wondering if the thrust bearing cap needs to be at 80 ft/lbs or if it should stay at 10-12??

So according to my haynes manual as i'm reassembling the 4.0 for my 2001 XJ i see that i'm supposed to torque all the main caps to 80 ft/lbs then torque the thrust bearing cap to 10-12 ft/lbs. Next i have to push the crank back and forth to seat it then retorque all the main caps.......BUT i'm wondering if the thrust bearing cap needs to be at 80 ft/lbs or if it should stay at 10-12??

No, don't leave it at 10-12, torque it to 80 ft lbs same as the rest
of the main cap bolts. The lower torque is only for initial seating of
the thrust bearing.

Here's what my 2000 FSM says:

(6) Install the main bearing cap(s) and lower
insert(s).
(7) Tighten the bolts of caps 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 to
54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Now tighten these bolts to
95 N·m (70 ft. lbs.) torque. Finally, tighten these
bolts to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.) torque.
(8) Push the crankshaft forward and backward.
Load the crankshaft front or rear and tighten cap
bolt No.3 to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Then tighten
to 95 N·m (70 ft. lbs.) torque and finally tighten to
108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.) torque.
(9) Rotate the crankshaft after tightening each
main bearing cap to ensure the crankshaft rotates
freely.
(10) Check crankshaft end play. Crankshaft end
play is controlled by the thrust bearing which is

flange and installed at the No.2 main bearing position.

Its the #3 position for the thrust bearing.
I copied and pasted the above directly from the factory service manual. Take it up with Chrysler

Once again
He's not saying you are wrong, he is saying the manual is wrong. It happens. The important thing here is that the OP gets the right info so he can put the motor together properly.

edit: if you THINK about what you are reading from that FSM page, the list of bearing caps they say to fully tighten includes all the caps EXCEPT bearing cap 3. Now they say that this is to seat the thrust bearing properly, then mention bearing cap 2 as the one it is under. Doesn't make sense, now does it? It's bearing cap 3, the manual has a typo.

I understand that, and i'm not trying to be a dick. I am, however, trying to reiterate the fact that the above was directly from the FSM, and not from my own experience or knowledge. Hence the disclaimer at the beginning of the original post

Oh, sorry. I forgot how awesome YOU are. Please continue to bless us all with your impeccable divinity

No, I just know what I am talking about, where as you have no clue, just some crap you copypasta'd from the FSM. Congrats on having a copy of the FSM, but no practical knowledge.

Back