• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 rear O2 sensor harness side connector

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Need the part number, PLEASE, and a source(s) if possible for the harness side connector for 1997 Cherokee rear (after the Cat) O2 sensor.

A new friend....new guy in town, needed help.... Doing a freebie,... I found both sides of his rear O2 sensor wire assy were ripped out, nothing but 4 bare wires left on both sides. :(

Only 6" of wire left on the sensor side (and no idea if it is OK, or not), and I have my doubts PVC covered auto patch wire that close can handle the Cat Converter heat???? So thinking new sensor instead of a wire only repair/patch. If I do that I will need a new factor style connector for the bare wire harness side too.

You could probably get away with direct connecting the wires as a temporary fix. Although, a new sensor is your best bet.

Send me a pic of the new sensor connector . I may have one I can ship you.

Either way you go, remember not to solder the wires. The lead will contaminate the sensor in the long run.

Either way you go, remember not to solder the wires. The lead will contaminate the sensor in the long run.

Lead solder ? O2 sensor contamination? Where did you hear that?

I found the parts at Amazon... the guy never came back, doubt he will, still owes me money. :(

That harness plugs in by the back of the engine. You could probably find it at a pull a part. My 98 had the plug ripped off and that is what I did.

Lead solder ? O2 sensor contamination? Where did you hear that?

Tech school,& GM's basic electronics training.

The sensor uses the oxygen that wicks in through the sensor signal wire as part of the electrochemical reaction in the oxygen measuring process. It took me a while to get my head wrapped around. the lead in the solder contaminates the "back side" of the element just like leaded fuel contaminates the "front".

Tech school,& GM's basic electronics training.

The sensor uses the oxygen that wicks in through the sensor signal wire as part of the electrochemical reaction in the oxygen measuring process. It took me a while to get my head wrapped around. the lead in the solder contaminates the "back side" of the element just like leaded fuel contaminates the "front".

But its not like solid lead is going to crawl down the wire from the solder joint way down to the sensor surface. So is it the trace lead fumes from soldering that do it? Even that seems like a stretch, just warp a sealing bag around the O2 sensor with DUCK TAPE :D first? Most of today's electronics solder is now supposed to be lead free???

We use to make jokes about how all the soil along side all the US highways were legally US EPA hazardous waste in the 1980s due the leachable lead levels in the soil, LOL. And then there are those leaking lead acid batteries under the hood, hmm.

Interesting though. I do know that Silicates (silicone oxides) from the old green antifreeze accumulates and ruins the O2 sensors. And Phosphorous and ZDDP Zinc from the motor oils, LOL.

Don't get me started LOL :D

Trace lead leaches down through the wire. I've seen it happen with coolant too.

"Mam/sir, you need a coolant temp sensor, an ecm and the wire harness between them. That'll be $1500."

That never gets old. lol

On second thought, since those sensors operate at over 600 F, and the wires are attached to it, I guess trace lead vapor can diffuse under the insulation at the solder joint to the sensor. Just read the UK guys saying lead solder in the gas tanks from too much alcohol and injector cleaners does them in too.:shiver:

Trace lead leaches down through the wire. I've seen it happen with coolant too.

"Mam/sir, you need a coolant temp sensor, an ecm and the wire harness between them. That'll be $1500."

That never gets old. lol

Back