• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil over shocks

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I need a good source for cheap coil overs. I haven't determined the length yet. I'm just trying to find some good prices so I can determine whether or not I will go that route.

Thanks,
Neil

Ranchos are the cheapest, but the initial reviews I would wait and get some more long-term reviews. Sway-a-Ways or Fox are going to be your cheapest that already have a good reputations behind them. Give PolyPerformance(.com) a call, they're very helpful. Also, airshocks would be cheaper than coilovers, and have their own set of pros and cons.

more importantly, why do you want coilover? there are a lot of guys here that have really pushed the performance of their XJs, and very few have found coilovers to be necessary for that.

BrettM said:
Ranchos are the cheapest, but the initial reviews I would wait and get some more long-term reviews. Sway-a-Ways or Fox are going to be your cheapest that already have a good reputations behind them. Give PolyPerformance(.com) a call, they're very helpful. Also, airshocks would be cheaper than coilovers, and have their own set of pros and cons.

more importantly, why do you want coilover? there are a lot of guys here that have really pushed the performance of their XJs, and very few have found coilovers to be necessary for that.

I'm building a YJ for a friend. He got a great deal on a front D44 with the radius arms from an F150. We have to do either a coil or a coil-over up front. So if it's not going to be much more expensive to do coil-over then I would rather do that. I also looked at the website that you suggested, which brings up another question. After I determine the length of the shock, how do I choose the springs? Do you use two springs per shock? How do you determine the spring rate?

Thanks,
Neil

Last edited:
It will not be just as cheap to do coilovers. A set of fox's will run you 1100.00.
Talk to Dave at poly. He can get you close on the springs. If you buy the shocks from them they will swap out spring for free till you get it right.

Coilovers are trial and error to set up, though if you're putting it on a YJ Dave at Polyperformance has enough experience to get you real close the first time. They are not going to be about the same price as a set of coils and a couple of shocks. It's pretty easy to shop around online to get various prices on all the coilovers from the different manufacturers. Two inch coilovers with two springs are going to be in the $500-550 range each.

Most people run two coils, which gives you a dual rate. You can determine the primary and secondary rates, the rate and height at ride height, and where the transition is from primary to secondary rate, and you can change the valving on the shocks. The major benefit is in the ability to tune them to your rig.

David Taylor said:
It will not be just as cheap to do coilovers. A set of fox's will run you 1100.00.
Talk to Dave at poly. He can get you close on the springs. If you buy the shocks from them they will swap out spring for free till you get it right.

I knew that it wasn't going to be just as cheap. He wants to eventually run coilovers, so instead of waisting $4-500 on coils shocks and bracketry, I figured that I would give him the option of doing it right the first time. I did, however think that it was going to be closer to the $8-900 range (maybe more hoping). I may be able to talk him into junk yard parts for the coil/shock setup until he can afford to do the coilovers the right way. Thanks for the input though.

Back