• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil over shocks?

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
Is there such a thing as coil over shocks?
I was thinking that I wanted some coil over for my stock xj, I want a smoother ride around town I use my stock xj as my daily drivers.
but I also want some thing that can give me a good ride when I take it off road.

Thanks for any help. Legacy.

I don´t know of anyone who has run them on an XJ, but had a set of Gabrial, air shocks on a 5/4 ton truck. Without a load, it would ride way harsh, with a little pressure in the air shocks, it would lift it off of the springs a touch and actually smooth out the ride a bit. Have heard of people blowing the gas bag on air shocks, but never managed to pop mine. Just kept the pressure 30% below max, to allow for heat and expansion.

Coilovers aren't for a stock XJ. They're expensive and would require some fabrication to mount them. I'd recomend a good quality high pressure nitrogen charged monotube shock, like a 5100 Bilstein, M29000 series Doetsch Tech, or Performer IAS Edelbrocks. The 5100 Bilsteins have been around the longest and are extremely proven, but the others should also be good choices.

Shocks do make a difference.

Back