• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New steering column, no break lights 91 xj

Wheelin 4 life

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 91 auto xj, the old steering column was loose and one day it locked up on me while driving. So i got a new column out of a 93 manual xj and everything works but the break lights. :(
i read somewhere that the circuit for the breaks run though the cruise control at lease on the 91-94 autos. I have the old column so can i put cruise control in my new manual column?
I'd prefer not to tighten and use the old column cause of it locking up lol
Also ive looked for quite awhile and i guess in my area finding 91-94 columns in a real pain:mad: so i guess ive got to figure out how to use the manual steering column and make the brake lights work, any help is appreciated:roll:

The brake lamp switch is connected to the cruise control so that stepping on the brakes disengages the CC.

The brake lamp switch is typically located on/near the brake lever arm above the brake pedal. It is logical to assume the steering column work either damaged the switch, damaged the switch wiring, or the switch is for some reason improperly adjusted.

I would start trouble shooting at the brake lamp switch.

Back