• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project - Walker Evans Racing Shocks

A Satria

NAXJA Forum User
Current Spec :

97 XJ 4-door, Right Hand Drive
Engine Stroked to 4.5L using Crankshaft Kit Only
Existing ECU connected to UNICHIP Programmable Engine Control Unit Transmission - Automatic, Standard AW-4, No Modifications
T-Case - NP-231, Standard, No Modifications
Camshaft - Standard at this moment (will be replaced with CROWER CAMS)
Intake - Standard at this moment
Heads - Standard at this moment
Throttle Body enlarge to 60mm (will be using 66mm)
Injector - Enlarge 46% from standard (pulse can be programmed thru UNICHIP)
Ignition - Standard (timing can be programmed thru UNICHIP)
Header 3-Y configuratuib
Exhaust - Flow-Master
Piston - Standard, Not over-bored
Air Filter (K&N)
Fuel 87 Octane (i know, but this is what we have in Indonesia for standard)
Tires 255x55x18
Wheel 8.5x18 inch
Dyno Test results 135.3HP, 127 Torque (at Wheel)

Projects :
  1. Installing Walker Evans Racing Coil-Over Shocks, with remote reservoir, and Dual Coil-Spring Rate for both the front and rear.
  2. Shocks are 8" travel, Remote Reservoir
  3. Coils are KING COILS
  4. Each Coil-Over shocks will utilize dual rate coils.
  5. Upper coils softer, lower coils stiffer. Rate of coils will be POST later-on
  6. Install SWAY-BAR for the rear (Indonesian XJ do not come with sway bar at the rear !!!), to eliminate Body-Roll
Objective :
  1. To share picture and installation process, so that members can view, knows the problems during coil-over conversion, and make a much better convertion for coil-over applications.
  2. PS : If someone already converted their XJ to all Coil-Over, please POST picture so that it would be easier for me...

Coil Over Shocks Overview - Walker Evans Racing Shocks - Dual Rate Coil Over

Coil Over Overview,
1.jpg
truck.jpg

The car has been put on jack stand, and all of the front coil springs and shocks has been removed. We are trying to put the new Coil Over Shocks in a position that will have less modifications to the engine bay (cutting, welding, etc)

At the rear, the shocks has been removed, and at the moment the leaf spring is still there to position the axle correctly. We are measuring the Lower Pararel Control Arm as well as Upper triangulate Arm.
We are also trying to put the new Coil Over Shocks in a position that will have less modifications to the cargo trunk area (cutting, welding, etc)

Picture will be posted in a while

Priandhi Satria said:
Current Spec :

Upper coils softer, lower coils stiffer. Rate of coils will be POST later-on

When are you going to post the rates?

I am going to be converting the front of my XJ to 12 or 14" C.O. instead of the fox air shox I now have and the rates you are useing would be a great starting point for me.

Thanks

karim_gabra said:
nice project but are you trying to build an off roader or a street ride cause I think these coil overs are intended for a Pre runner
Thanks for the nice compliment.

Basically a "COIL OVER" is an ordinary shocks with coils integrated into the shocks body.

A Coil Over shocks can be used as "SHOCKS" without the coils, and this has been used in several Off-Road race Car.

KINGSHOCKS or Sway-A-Way or Fox or Walker Evans 2inch shocks, mostly have threaded body, in which you can buy "COIL OVER KIT" to be integrated into their shocks.

What I am trying to built is a STREET SLEEPER XJ, in which ;
during workday it will be lowered 2" from standard height using 20 inch wheel with 255x55x18 tires, and
during weekend it will be raised 2" from standard height using 15inch wheel with 31 tires

Using coil-overs will let you raise or lower the upper spring position so that you can raise and lower the Ride Height in just a matter or minutes.

So, it will be a Street Sleeper with Off-Road capabilities.

Anyone wants to help me to comment on these..... please...

My Race Car,
I know.... it's not an XJ..:explosion
Anyway,
WJ, frame on cabin only,
Chasiss lenght longer a little bit than XJ
Original Rear Chasis cut, replace with tubular
Original Front (engine bay) Chasis cut, replace with tubular
All COil-OVERS (dual Rate) with remote reservoir, with all 4-link setup
All triplle by-pass shocks with remote reservoir
Travel front 16", Rear 22"
Axle DYNATRAC 44 Front, Dynatrac 60 Rear
Engine Chevy 350 Modified by WESTTECH

wrangler-1.jpg

cyrus said:

I am going to be converting the front of my XJ to 12 or 14" C.O. instead of the fox air shox I now have and the rates you are useing would be a great starting point for me.

Thanks

Thanks,
This is my first time having an XJ, so I could not comment on the detail on the COILS set-up yet.
What would you be using the XJ for (Slow Rock-Crawling), Moderate Country Off-Road, Hi-Speed Jeep-Speed Type ?
Will it be also use ON-ROAD ?
Do you have sway-bar installed at front and rear ?
Would it be single rate coils or a single rate dual coils ?

Are you going to use FOX ?, I am sure they have standard rate that they would be able to suggets to you.

However, I can tell you the spring rate on my YJ that I am using for Baja type.

I was thinking of starting my own project too
94 XJ auto
I use it as a daily driver but I also take it off road in the deserts and dunes so i figured i needed more of a pre runner setup that wouldnt compromise on road handling at high speeds around 85 mph
I was thinking of RE long arm setup and thought also of the Y-link TnT and I d love to have coilovers though I do not need more than 30 to 31 " tyres.
Wwhat do you think about that??

karim_gabra said:
I was thinking of starting my own project too
94 XJ auto
I use it as a daily driver but I also take it off road in the deserts and dunes so i figured i needed more of a pre runner setup that wouldnt compromise on road handling at high speeds around 85 mph
I was thinking of RE long arm setup and thought also of the Y-link TnT and I d love to have coilovers though I do not need more than 30 to 31 " tyres.
Wwhat do you think about that??
Project "COIL OVER" already STARTED :repair:
Should be done in next 10 days or so.

The problems with me here in Jakarta, INDONESIA, is that none of us have access to RE Long Arm Set-Up or so. That means I can not comment on those set-up. Sorry...

Why with the coil overs ?, It is just because I know Brett King and Mike Eads of KINGSHOCKS and they appoint me as distributors here in Indonesia. Other than that, it is very difficult to get aftermarket products.

Maybe BRETTM, can comment on this of how expensive it is to sent items overseas :shocked: .

cyrus said:

Thanks
Goatman said:
Coilovers are trial and error to set up, though if you're putting it on a YJ Dave at Polyperformance has enough experience to get you real close the first time. They are not going to be about the same price as a set of coils and a couple of shocks. It's pretty easy to shop around online to get various prices on all the coilovers from the different manufacturers. Two inch coilovers with two springs are going to be in the $500-550 range each.

Most people run two coils, which gives you a dual rate. You can determine the primary and secondary rates, the rate and height at ride height, and where the transition is from primary to secondary rate, and you can change the valving on the shocks.
The major benefit is in the ability to tune them to your rig.

Re: Pictures, Rear Axle

priandhi,
Are you concerned with the Dana 35 holding up behind your stroker? I've seen them grenaded on the street behind a 2.5L, in fact I have one with blown spider gears that was in a 2.5L MJ sitting in the garage.
I just hate to see you do all that nice work to an axle that may explode when you romp on the gas.

Back