• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Axle Alignment Problem . . need advice from alignment expert

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Running a RE 3.5 sitting fairly high for a 3.5 currently on 31x10.5 bfg AT
96 XJ

Track bar mounting bracket re-drilled 1" over from stock (as per RE directions)

Problems listed chronologically:
-Had 32x11.5 MTRs... seemed to drive strait.. no real big issue.. but major uneven tire-wear on inside.

-Went to some 31x 10.5 ATs and went to have alignment done.. And my front end was in-line but toed in wrong. Had alignment done. They said my trust angle was way off now and they could not fix because it was in the rear axle being out of alignment..

-Went to 4x4 offroad specific place to ask them why..maybe bent axle or warped frame... they said my rear axle was perfectly inline with the frame and the front was the one that was off. They said that measurments between the two axles showed the passenger side was 3/4" closer than the drivers side. They put a plate in the passengerside and pulled the drivers side back as far as would go. Now measure the same.. but looks funny to me not to be the same on D and P sides lower control arm bracket.

Vehicle left shop and still pulls to the right... they said they had no idea why. I left a bit pissed off.

TODAY:
I said screw it and now I am at a place I have a garage and my tools back I am going to solve this... SO i stood there looking at the front end.

-My axle is shifted to the passenger side over >1" and clearly the springs and sway bar connects are out of alignment. . Pretty sure this has been this way at least since i had the alignment done. .. my thoughts are based on when the tire starts rubbing the LCA (yes, spacers to come).. but much more severe on driver side.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW...

to shift the axle back I should then put the trackbar back into the stock mouting hole???? Even though this would be against the RE design?? and not make any sense mathematically. But if my axle is over to the passengers side this is what I should do to correct this??

Am i missing something? It just doesn't seem right to have to do this..

Also ... any thoughts on the whole thrust angle and LCA bracket adjustment being off as well?

I can give someone all the number and measurements from alignments and my own tape if needed

Well, I don't think the 1" re-drill was/is correct for a lift of only 3.5 inches. The axle definitely needs to be centered. The best way is with an adjustable track bar; however, many of us have lived with re-drilling the axle bracket to move the axle over. As you're aware, as the Jeep is lifted, the track bar will force the axle to the driver's side. So you need to either extend the track bar (best), or redrill the mount hole towards the driver's side. I think I re-drilled ~1 inch for a "true" six inches of lift (I've since replaced the track bar with an adjustable one). With the Jeep setting with the wheels straight ahead, on level ground, drop a plumb bob from each front flare to the top of the tire. Compare each side to determine how much the axle is off-set.
As far as the axles setting square under the Jeep (thrust error), grab a tape and measure for yourself. I'd measure from a transmission cross-member mount bolt on each side, to the lower control arm mount bolt. I'd then measure the length of each LCA. The same on both sides? Next I'd measure from the same cross-member bolt the the rear axle; The same?

just move your trackbar back to the original hole, recenter your steering wheel and be done with it.

My point was wondering why the RE calls for a change in the track-bar location when it seams that I shouldn't have needed to do that. Or maybe a connection is loose or bent.. that i am missing..

And then wondering if this misalignment was changing my thrust angle on the charts..

then there was the separate issue of the axle to axle measurement that no one could give me a right answer for..

I'm going to do some exact measuring and get back to this tread in the morning..

What is the exact axle center to axle center measurement on this vehicle stock... anyone know??

Well, I don't think the 1" re-drill was/is correct for a lift of only 3.5 inches. The axle definitely needs to be centered. The best way is with an adjustable track bar; however, many of us have lived with re-drilling the axle bracket to move the axle over. As you're aware, as the Jeep is lifted, the track bar will force the axle to the driver's side. So you need to either extend the track bar (best), or redrill the mount hole towards the driver's side. I think I re-drilled ~1 inch for a "true" six inches of lift (I've since replaced the track bar with an adjustable one). With the Jeep setting with the wheels straight ahead, on level ground, drop a plumb bob from each front flare to the top of the tire. Compare each side to determine how much the axle is off-set.
As far as the axles setting square under the Jeep (thrust error), grab a tape and measure for yourself. I'd measure from a transmission cross-member mount bolt on each side, to the lower control arm mount bolt. I'd then measure the length of each LCA. The same on both sides? Next I'd measure from the same cross-member bolt the the rear axle; The same?

I'll do some measuring and get back to you tomorrow..
do you know what the stock axle center to axle center measurement should be?

If you are talking front axle to rear axle center it is 101" from the side front to back.
xj.gif

JEEP XJ- CHEROKEE & JEEP WAGONEER (DOWNSIZE)

Production: (1984-2001)
Identifying Characteristics: Rectangular headlights, squareish classic Jeep lines, available in 2 and 4 door models, unibody style construction.
Windshield: Curved Glass.
Suspension: Coil spring front and Leaf spring rear.
Wheel Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5”
Wheelbase: 101 inch

I remember reading somewhere that due to road crown one side is intentionally shorter than the other side...let me see if i can find the link...

here... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

all the way at the bottom. If you are that concerened about your thrust angle, sway your rear leaf springs right to left and left to right. Also check your center pins in the springs...

I remember reading somewhere that due to road crown one side is intentionally shorter than the other side...let me see if i can find the link...

here... http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

all the way at the bottom. If you are that concerened about your thrust angle, sway your rear leaf springs right to left and left to right. Also check your center pins in the springs...

thanks for the article.. i am going to start wrenching on it today.

Back