• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how mush $ should the machine work be?

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
what should a shop charge me for machine work?
these are the two quotes ive gotten so far, and it seems expensive.
nobody is building $1200 strokers and paying these prices.
hows everyone else doing it?

.............................PAOLOS..........DON'S MACHINE
TANK & FLUX..............100..............95
BORE & HONE..............120.............90
ALLIGN BORE...............200.............125
DECK.........................100...............125
BALANCE ....................120..............175
TURN CRANK..................110.............95
VALVE JOB....................120..............205
SIZE RODS.....................90................75
VALVE GUIDES.................112.............*included
MILL HEAD......................42..............*included

Last edited:
Wow. That's more than double what I would pay up here. And I'm paying in Canadian dollars. So figure about a third of what you are being quoted. Does that include assembly of the block? :D My local guy quoted me just over $800 to do pretty much all of that plus do the complete motor swap for me if I supply the parts. I'd be curious to hear others' experiences as well...

no, no assembly, just freeze plugs and cam bearings.

and if by allign bore, you mean line bore (reboring the main's). a) it shouldnt be done unless the block is out of spec, and b) it should cost alot more than that. its something thats very easily f-ed up, and in most cases, if its needed, it totals the block

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid around $1100 and that included the master gasket kit, timing chain kit, and assembly of the head and long block. That way they would warranty the engine. No balance, no line bore, no milling the head (which I wouldn't do anyway).

just so you know, advance auto has the 87-90 crank, w/ the right length snout. for $210, reground, with bearings. $45 core, just bring them a 4.0 crank, or the 4.2 you have

tealcherokee said:
just so you know, advance auto has the 87-90 crank, w/ the right length snout. for $210, reground, with bearings. $45 core, just bring them a 4.0 crank, or the 4.2 you have

Thats not bad, figure the price of bearings and to grind the crank plus the price of a crank.

I think I paid about $1000 for the machine work, head assembly, and bearings.

It's been awhile but I paid $1000-1300 for

block hot tanked and bored to .060

crank reground .010 (?)

pistons and rods mic'd and assembled

entire rotating assembly balanced and assembled

cloyes tru roller installed

this is basically how I got it back:

007_4.jpg

005_2.jpg

and this is how it's been sitting for a while....

DSCF0003.jpg

Back