NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 9th, 2006, 13:27
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Extended Idle 97-01 Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B.
I know, using the chart with Pin # for OBD I (for my 95) and corresponding wire color, I know my computer plug doesn't have that. I'd like to add it.....any ideas on how to add it to the plug if it doesn't already have it?
Pull the PCM connector on a junkyard XJ. Take it apart, cannibalise one of the pins, then add it in to your connector along with the wiring. A complete PITA to do, but probably your only non-ghetto option.

Something just occurred to me, though - you are checking pin 10 and not pin 12, right? See this post on page three of this thread to verify. I just want to be sure we're definitely talking about the same thing.
Old November 9th, 2006, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

Yep, 10, and no straight purple wire either.
Old November 9th, 2006, 13:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B.
Yep, 10, and no straight purple wire either.
Check page three. I seem to remember seeing a post re: someone in the same position.
Old November 16th, 2006, 14:04
NAXJA Forum User

well my problem continues (have only messed with it a couple times) where the PCM 12 on the 32 PIN (96 XJ pcm) won't raise the idle when grounded. i tried messing with it again when i saw this thread active again and tried to figure out what was up by using a light - Pin 12 to the positive and ground to the negative wire of the light. I could of swore that the light wasnt lighting up at all but i realized when i held my hand over it - it had the slightest dim glow. this is a light from behind the dash! its really small... the 12+V that comes from the PCM must not have a good connection or something - which is why my idle is staying the same i guess?

anybody know what might be up/ how to fix this? i tried tightening up all the connections, etc to get a better signal, i have no clue why it wont just bump the idle.
Old November 16th, 2006, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

Anybody with an OBD1 and extended idle, can u take a pic pointing out the wire?
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:35
NAXJA Forum User

Do you cut the wire or splice into it and and a ground?
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2offroad
Do you cut the wire or splice into it and and a ground?
DO NOT PERMANENTLY GROUND THE WIRE!

This is important. Unless you want your XJ idling at approximately 1100-1200 RPM all the time and all the issues that this may bring with it, permanently grounding the Extended Idle pin is a BAD idea.

So, to answer your question: cut not splice, and add a switch that will allow it to go from +12V to ground when you want the idle to be bumped up.
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:28
NAXJA Forum User

I forgot to add switch, Why not splice into harness? the wire doesn't go anywhere on stock harness, correct?
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoXJ96
well my problem continues (have only messed with it a couple times) where the PCM 12 on the 32 PIN (96 XJ pcm) won't raise the idle when grounded. i tried messing with it again when i saw this thread active again and tried to figure out what was up by using a light - Pin 12 to the positive and ground to the negative wire of the light. I could of swore that the light wasn't lighting up at all but i realized when i held my hand over it - it had the slightest dim glow. this is a light from behind the dash! its really small... the 12+V that comes from the PCM must not have a good connection or something - which is why my idle is staying the same i guess?

anybody know what might be up/ how to fix this? i tried tightening up all the connections, etc to get a better signal, i have no clue why it wont just bump the idle.
Never ever ever ever use a test light when tracing vehicle electronics! You can, and will fry sensitive cpu's! You always should use a multimeter. The reason the light was dim is because the circuit you where testing can probably only handle a few Milli-amps, and that light bulb (even though is is a small low wattage indicator lamp) requires more current (amperage) than the circuit can deliver.

Example

A 2w bulb at 12V will draw .166 A (2/12=.166)
Now .166A is = to 166mA (. goes three places to the right)
Most possessor chips can only handle a few micro-amps in which case that .166A load would become 166,000 micro-amps, and using a transistor might let it handle a few Milli-amps. Just guessing, I would bet you fried the circuit, by using a test bulb instead of a meter.

Last edited by scoobyxj; December 10th, 2006 at 11:18.
Old December 10th, 2006, 14:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I forgot to add switch, Why not splice into harness?
Oh, OK. I understand what you're looking at doing now. Splicing into the stock harness would be fine; AFAIK that's how everyone's done it so far.

Quote:
the wire doesn't go anywhere on stock harness, correct?
From what I can make out in the FSM, it supposedly comes out somewhere in the area of the kick panel under the steering column, but I've so far been unable to trace it. Remember that that's not a 'dead' wire in normal use: it should have +12V going through it to tell the PCM not to engage the extended idle, so it has to terminate at an ignition-switched source somewhere.
Old December 10th, 2006, 14:15
NAXJA Forum User

Are some OBD-1 XJ's not equipped with this wire or pin? I took a quick peek and I swore the corresponding terminal for a 95 in OBD-1 (according to the chart) was not present on my PCM plug.
Old December 10th, 2006, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

I did it today and it worked fine, spliced into the grey wire and ran a wire into the console to a switch and then to ground, flip switch on and the idle goes up to about 1100-1200 rpm, drops back to normal in gear.
Old December 10th, 2006, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I did it today and it worked fine, spliced into the grey wire and ran a wire into the console to a switch and then to ground, flip switch on and the idle goes up to about 1100-1200 rpm, drops back to normal in gear.
I'm slightly confused here - are you supplying +12V to pin 12 when the switch is off? Not quite following how your switch works.
Old December 10th, 2006, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

I spliced into the wire and the switch goes to ground, +12v is there from the harness.
Old December 10th, 2006, 18:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I spliced into the wire and the switch goes to ground, +12v is there from the harness.
OK, makes sense.