• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone do the torque converter lock mod?

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to add a switch for second gear and was thinking about doing the torque converter lock too. Anyone have a bad experience with this or forgot to flip the switch off and spewed tranny parts all over the place?

link

I have done both on my 89 AW4 ...plus the TCU interrupt switch (so far unused) and like it. My motivation was a malfunctioning brake-switch where the TC stayed unlocked all the time...

I had a bit of learning curve, both on & off road but it is handy to select 1 or 2 and lock/unlock off road, and manually lock the TC on-road. I 'think' if your TC/brake sw at the pedal is functional...the tranny would be in 'normal/TCU' mode while the new sw is in unlock position.

I'd always reccomend a 'more frequent' ATF change schedule...especially if it gets hot one time.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Do you have time for this one, the CON is only 32 HRS away. :woohoo:

Ya I don't know. I might just do the 2nd gear thing tonight. I think I am going to pull an all nighter tonight to do my shafts, and locker. I had to rip apart my dash last night trying to find a shorted out power wire going to my stereo. So it looks as if it just 3 of us going on the Con huh?

Has anyone figured out how to do this on the the newer trans???

I rode with Woody at the Crawl and let me tell you that lock-up and firs gear swith is sweet! If I had an AW-4 that would be my next project.

DPC said:
This might be a silly question but how exactly does locking the TC help off road?

Thanks

Dan

Without locking the TC you allow the TC to slip and build up pressure. If you are decending down a hill and you are in 1st gear, it will continue to speed up. If your TC is locked and you are going down a hill and are in first gear it is just as if you are driving a manual transmission in first gear down a hill.

OK a few questions. 1st can you start and stop with the converter locked up in 1st gear? can you start/stop w/ the converter locked up in any othe gear? Also does it matter what diode you use when you wire it up? Thanks Jason

Diodes come with 4 different characteristics.
1-PIV(peak inverse voltage)
2-Ampere rating
3-Physical size
4=Lead size

PIV should be at least 25volts,I dont know the load of the solenoids but I would think 2A max.

This sounds like the next best thing to a full manual valve body. Is there a link or write up somewhere that gives more details? I've thought about locking out the tc but only for driving hills in 3rd and 4th on the highway. I've never thought about it for an offroad application. The 2nd gear thing, is that to get 2nd at a lower speed and totally bypass 1st? What do I do, what do I do? I like this idea.

XJHOX said:
OK a few questions. 1st can you start and stop with the converter locked up in 1st gear? can you start/stop w/ the converter locked up in any othe gear? Also does it matter what diode you use when you wire it up? Thanks Jason

You cannot start or stop with the converter locked. that would be like starting in a manual without using the cluth. I've forgotten to unlock mine a few times, and it makes nasty noises when you get down too slow.

I did the conversion on my 700R4 in the XJ
used the crusie control circuit on the brakes, and did a manual override button
with a Green LED so I dont forget. I know it doesnt help you guys with those silly little factory Transmissions and CPUs :D

This mod would solve my only gripe I have had with my auto tranny off road, :D . Have I just missed the link or has nobody ever done a quick write up for this mod? Thanks for the help.

I just read the write-up on that link and have a couple questions.

First, it seems the goal there is to manually force second but we want to stay in first right (for compression braking)?

If that is true, couldn't we just cut the line to solenoid 2 and run it through a switch - off would be first gear only, on would be normal operation and no need for a diode?

Someone please tell me if I have this all wrong!

Back