• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt steering box problems

Shaneo417

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, long time reader first time asking anything.
I’m building a 98 xj right now and currently having problems with the steering gear. I just rebuilt the Saginaw box and tapped it for hydro assist. I tapped the top plate and the end plug. Box is in ram is hoses connected I bleed the system and it seemed perfect. A little hard to steer but not terrible. Then all Of a sudden it starts to turn right on it’s own. I can move it centre but still wants to pull right. It does it if the ram is connected to the tie rod or not. Motor off ram disconnected and turn left and right ram moves the way it should. Did I bang up a seal in the box during rebuild? I’m kinda confused

Take it apart and look at everything. It isn’t the ram causing it to turn right. It’s the rebuild.
It could be a seal. Maybe the number of Steel balls is off.
Does it go all the way to the right or just a little?

Yeah that’s what I was leaning towards unfortunately. Something in the box. It dosnt go all he way to the right but I can hear the fluid in the box as if your turning the wheel trying to turn it right when engine is on. That’s actually the page I used for the rebuild haha thanks for your help! Time to take the box apart again I guess :(

Back