NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 11th, 2020, 22:00
NAXJA Forum User

Rebuilt steering box problems

Hey, long time reader first time asking anything.
Iím building a 98 xj right now and currently having problems with the steering gear. I just rebuilt the Saginaw box and tapped it for hydro assist. I tapped the top plate and the end plug. Box is in ram is hoses connected I bleed the system and it seemed perfect. A little hard to steer but not terrible. Then all Of a sudden it starts to turn right on itís own. I can move it centre but still wants to pull right. It does it if the ram is connected to the tie rod or not. Motor off ram disconnected and turn left and right ram moves the way it should. Did I bang up a seal in the box during rebuild? Iím kinda confused
Old September 12th, 2020, 07:56
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Rebuilt steering box problems

Take it apart and look at everything. It isn’t the ram causing it to turn right. It’s the rebuild.
It could be a seal. Maybe the number of Steel balls is off.
Does it go all the way to the right or just a little?
Old September 12th, 2020, 07:59
NAXJA Forum User

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/sa...how-to.570869/
Old September 12th, 2020, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah thatís what I was leaning towards unfortunately. Something in the box. It dosnt go all he way to the right but I can hear the fluid in the box as if your turning the wheel trying to turn it right when engine is on. Thatís actually the page I used for the rebuild haha thanks for your help! Time to take the box apart again I guess