NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 11th, 2019, 16:37
NAXJA Forum User

intermitten tps problem?

89 xj 4.0 stick shift.
I have an intermittent problem it seems like it has cropped up since the weather has been in the 90s here.
Sometimes when I start the engine and go to Revit it will only go to 1000 RPM then it starts to spit and sputter.
Then after about 20 or 30 seconds of pushing on the gas and messing around it revs past that point and everything is fine think I should change my TPS?
Old July 11th, 2019, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

Re: intermitten tps problem?

This one's hard to diagnose because it doesn't do it all the time 95% of the time it runs like a raped ape but he does seem to be a factor because up until this hot spell it never did anything like this could it be possible that it's coil?
Old July 12th, 2019, 08:14
Freakish Hand Strength

The symptoms you describe sound like vapor lock. Have you tested the fuel pressure and the fuel injectors. Are one or more injectors weeping fuel into the cylinders when the engine is off ? Tested the MAP sensor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old July 12th, 2019, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

Kind of a classic CPS symptom, except it is usually engine heat that causes issues. Like when you shut it down and try a restart a few minutes later with an already hot engine, the CPS resistance values change.

Might try a CPS ohm test cold and hot. then maybe a CPS voltage test while cranking cold and hot. I never change many parts on a hunch, I usually test then change.

My TPS symptoms were usually very high RPM's at a startup and/or erratic idle, high idle, then low idle, kind of continuously hunts for the sweet spot.

One off the wall problem I had was I had some water in my distributor, I could hardly see it under the sync sensor. Started up fine cold, but when it got hot the evaporating water vapor would mess with my spark.
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander View Post
89 xj 4.0 stick shift.
I have an intermittent problem it seems like it has cropped up since the weather has been in the 90s here.
Sometimes when I start the engine and go to Revit it will only go to 1000 RPM then it starts to spit and sputter.
Then after about 20 or 30 seconds of pushing on the gas and messing around it revs past that point and everything is fine think I should change my TPS?

Humid also?

When's the last time you refreshed all the connectors in the engine bay or refreshed the grounds?
Old July 17th, 2019, 21:33
NAXJA Forum User

Humid also yes....however im going to rule out a contact or ground issue because i have gone through all of that when I did cruisers renix fixes.
Old July 17th, 2019, 21:37
NAXJA Forum User

for craps and grins Ill throw on my spare(new never installed oem)
CPS....
The one thats in there now has about 7 or 8 years on it so its probably about time for replacement from a maintenance standpoint.
Old July 17th, 2019, 21:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
The symptoms you describe sound like vapor lock. Have you tested the fuel pressure and the fuel injectors. Are one or more injectors weeping fuel into the cylinders when the engine is off ? Tested the MAP sensor ?
Im all too familiar with the renix hot restart vapor lock.....this problem is different.