NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 11th, 2020, 17:43
You Guys ROCK!

Long Arm 'Upgrade'

Considering a long arm front end to replace OME short-arm. Yup, been on YouTube and see some advantages, just not sure rock crawling is in my game plan.

Looking close at Stinky Fab. They offer both 3 and 4-link setups but I have no clue on the pro/con of each (I'll keep searching)?

TIA

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 11th, 2020, 19:41
NAXJA Member

Re: Long Arm 'Upgrade'

I’m pretty sure you are exactly the target market for control arm drop brackets. $300-$400, no cutting, no welding, drill like two holes, re-use all your existing control arms.

I have a set of Rubicon Express in my garage, waiting for install on my little Wagoneer.
G & G Offroad and Auto Repair can make you think you can run the Box!
Old November 11th, 2020, 22:29
You Guys ROCK!

Thanks for the heads up. I knew there were downsides to long arms and found some details here:
https://www.rocky-road.com/cherokee-...-arm-drop.html

However, at RR they recommend for 4.5" lift minimum. My OME is 3.5" so I'll call RR to discuss. I've already been considering going with a 4.5" progressive replacement coil from Metalcloak (probably need new shocks then?)

Shop on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Iím pretty sure you are exactly the target market for control arm drop brackets. $300-$400, no cutting, no welding, drill like two holes, re-use all your existing control arms.

I have a set of Rubicon Express in my garage, waiting for install on my little Wagoneer.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:05
NAXJA Forum User

Long Arm 'Upgrade'

Nothing against drop brackets, they're great. Especially when you already have a nice set of short arms. With that being said I prefer the ride of my long armed 96 to the ride of my stock 99. The anti drive is much better on hard breaking. Plus things like rough rail road crossings are fun to hit hard in the 96 lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:56
NAXJA Member

I'm also looking at Long Arms. It will be on a 3.5 lift. There are some that state they work for 3 inch lifts. IRO and Ironman. Probably others. From the stuff I have of Stinky Fabs it will be tough. Their OTK axle bracket is the Bomb.
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:59
NAXJA Forum User

Long Arm 'Upgrade'

I run iro 3 link on 3.5 cloak coils now.

Old November 12th, 2020, 08:38
Freakish Hand Strength

What is the budget ?

I have CA drop brackets and short control arms on 5.5 of lift, because I am cheap. They ride really nice on pavement and I have never felt that they were inadequate on the 4x4 trails in Mn or in Moab. Somebody will post that the brackets can get you stuck on big rocks, but other than whacking them on a few rocks, I have never been stuck on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

i got a 5 inch lift, 33x 12.5 tires, lots of off road, rock crawls. I have short arms with dropped brackets. never a problem so far
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:51
You Guys ROCK!

Thanks everyone. Gonna talk to Rocky Road today and see where it takes me. Even if I have to go with a bit more lift up front, with springs, that will be fine. SRB and drop shackles in the back (for angle correction) is adding a bit to the rear so the combo should be fairly easy to dial in.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

I really like the sfr long arm kit. It will provide a very good stable ride as a 3 or 4 link and have minimal dive under breaking.

I built similar im at 3" minus of lift. Had to clearance floor pan for upper link clearance at 4" you won't need to clearance
Old November 12th, 2020, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNSUV View Post
Thanks everyone. Gonna talk to Rocky Road today and see where it takes me. Even if I have to go with a bit more lift up front, with springs, that will be fine. SRB and drop shackles in the back (for angle correction) is adding a bit to the rear so the combo should be fairly easy to dial in.
Rocky Road has been the worst vendor for 20yrs, I can't believe they are still business!
Old November 12th, 2020, 09:21
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Rocky Road has been the worst vendor for 20yrs, I can't believe they are still business!
Ouch!

Just off the phone with RR. They tell me the drop brackets are built for use with OEM short arms, not adjustable short arms (which I have). They say even the adj. short arms are too long to use CAD. Of course I don't have OEM arms anywhere.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
Nothing against drop brackets, they're great. Especially when you already have a nice set of short arms. With that being said I prefer the ride of my long armed 96 to the ride of my stock 99. The anti drive is much better on hard breaking. Plus things like rough rail road crossings are fun to hit hard in the 96 lol

Stop convincing me to spend money! After driving to Moab and back from TX I've been seriously considering long arms. Sounds like a good idea for the ride improvement alone.
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:06
Freakish Hand Strength

I have Rubicon Express CA drop brackets, and the optional reinforcement brackets. My lower control arms are the fixed ones that came with the RE 3.5" lift and the uppers are adjustable.

I have driven 1,280 miles to Moab, 4 wheeled for a week, and driven 1,280 miles back home 3 or 4 times, no problem.

I have had no dealings with RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; November 12th, 2020 at 11:10.
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Long Arm 'Upgrade'

My arms provided a night and day improvement in rude quality on rd and washboard rough stuff.

Sfr arms will look very similar just alittle more angle .

Stuff that used to make me cringe with short arms. Is now fun to hit at speed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk