NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 20th, 2020, 21:58
You Guys ROCK!

Re: Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
Looks not great. Should be 45 degrees or so back, you’re not quite 90, maybe 70 or so.
SRB go in tomorrow hopefully.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 21st, 2020, 09:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNSUV View Post
SRB go in tomorrow hopefully.
Got to say those RC brackets look scary as hell like most of their products, the SFR brackets are pure beef!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 00:36
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Got to say those RC brackets look scary as hell like most of their products, the SFR brackets are pure beef!
Scary? As in, "HOLY SHIT, somebody's gonna die!" scary?

Yup, if I wanted to spend additional money and take the time for box removal, instead of using a product I've had on the shelf NIB for 10 years, I'd go with the SFR. Apples and oranges maybe? Lift/no lift, bolt in or massage/remove the buckets.
They're both a chunk of 3/16" (or so) steel, bolted to aftermarket nut-strips in what appears to be at least 3 places, both engineered to do a simple task - and my guess is I won't be breaking either with my driving style.

I always appreciate input but please elaborate instead of just dropping a stink bug.
Enlighten me please, I'm subject to persuasion.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black

Last edited by NOTNSUV; November 22nd, 2020 at 00:41. Reason: add
Old November 22nd, 2020, 05:26
NAXJA Forum User

Death type "scary", the RC kit only bolts on sheet metal with a few bolts. The adjustment rail only bolts on with a couple small bolts all in the same "plane". All that height just adds leverage on that weak material and those few bolts.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 08:14
NAXJA Forum User

I would do a no-lift shackle for sure. As the shackle mount moves further from the body, the ability of the bracket to resist side-to-side bending (think about your XJ parked sideways on a hill) is reduced. It becomes more of a problem if the bracket is made of relatively thin metal. This will add instability to the handling.

And the additional lift makes it more difficult to use an OTS leaf spring. Your goal is to be able to run a longer leaf spring that provides more wheel travel, but you will be challenged to find a OTS long leaf spring that provides minimal lift needed to maintain your target lift of 3.5-4.5".
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:34
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Death type "scary", the RC kit only bolts on sheet metal with a few bolts. The adjustment rail only bolts on with a couple small bolts all in the same "plane". All that height just adds leverage on that weak material and those few bolts.
So, I didn't even know the brand SRB I had in hand and was watching the RC video for a general idea of mounting. I've now ID'd my SRB as Ironman 4x4 Fab. "These Relocation Brackets are made from 5/16" 100,000 psi Domex steel."

https://ironman4x4fab.com/products/x...ation-brackets

Should I feel better now?

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:45
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
I would do a no-lift shackle for sure. As the shackle mount moves further from the body, the ability of the bracket to resist side-to-side bending (think about your XJ parked sideways on a hill) is reduced. It becomes more of a problem if the bracket is made of relatively thin metal. This will add instability to the handling.

And the additional lift makes it more difficult to use an OTS leaf spring. Your goal is to be able to run a longer leaf spring that provides more wheel travel, but you will be challenged to find a OTS long leaf spring that provides minimal lift needed to maintain your target lift of 3.5-4.5".
If I replace rear springs it will be these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...t_C ode=10437

And they say this: "IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit."

Not sure if one is preferred over the other.
If I use only the lift shackles I already have I could well end up with a crap angle still, correct?
Boomerang less than ideal?
SRB + stock shackles?

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black

Last edited by NOTNSUV; November 22nd, 2020 at 09:50.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 10:22
You Guys ROCK!

I hope the OP (Roryd89) is getting some worthwhile information from his thread that I seem to have hijacked. Looks like we're in the same boat so to speak.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 22nd, 2020, 10:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
If I replace rear springs it will be these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...t_C ode=10437

And they say this: "IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit."

Not sure if one is preferred over the other.
If I use only the lift shackles I already have I could well end up with a crap angle still, correct?
Boomerang less than ideal?
SRB + stock shackles?
Any of the SRBs will allow you to use a non-boomerang shackle, and you should be able to adjust the angle to the range that people like to recommend. But that shackle box will raise the rear about 1" all by itself. A longer shackle, even at a 45 degree angle will add some lift too. So with a "lifted SRB" + aftermarket shackles, total lift will be at least 4.5", and will probably be closer to 5-5.5" inches.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 13:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I hope the OP (Roryd89) is getting some worthwhile information from his thread that I seem to have hijacked. Looks like we're in the same boat so to speak.
haha i am! im glad you're getting some help as well!
Old November 24th, 2020, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

My 97 with DPG kit has the OME med springs front and rear with their sport shocks. Goodyear wrangler adventure 31s at 28 lbs. It rides firm but not harsh at all with no added weight on the vehicle. Shackles are stock.

Is thrre binding somewhere? Has everything been loosened and re torqued weighted at ride height? Are bushings tge require lube lubed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 24th, 2020, 10:23
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Any of the SRBs will allow you to use a non-boomerang shackle, and you should be able to adjust the angle to the range that people like to recommend. But that shackle box will raise the rear about 1" all by itself. A longer shackle, even at a 45 degree angle will add some lift too. So with a "lifted SRB" + aftermarket shackles, total lift will be at least 4.5", and will probably be closer to 5-5.5" inches.
Looking hard at the Iron Rock 3.5" springs.

"“IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit.”

I've asked IRO which they prefer so waiting on them.
From your comments I would guess no-lift SRB would be the ticket. With OEM shackles? Or is there an aftermarket OEM length shackle that's an upgrade?
They also offer 'add-a-leaf' to the spring set for additional load capacity and "adds lift", so I also asked how much of each.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 24th, 2020, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Stock shackles are too short for a long travel lifted leaf spring. If you are looking for minimal lift (0.75" if the shackle was vertical), then Rusty's are nice. Very beefy and fit well. I tried to use the IRO 0.75" lift shackle, but it didn't fit well, and it was not nearly as beefy as Rusty's. If you want more lift from the shackle, then many can be considered.
Old November 24th, 2020, 12:21
NAXJA Forum User

Also, keep in mind that if the shackle is angled at 45 degrees, then the amount of lift provided by the shackle will be 70% of what the advertised lift will be.
Old November 24th, 2020, 15:01
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Stock shackles are too short for a long travel lifted leaf spring. If you are looking for minimal lift (0.75" if the shackle was vertical), then Rusty's are nice. Very beefy and fit well. I tried to use the IRO 0.75" lift shackle, but it didn't fit well, and it was not nearly as beefy as Rusty's. If you want more lift from the shackle, then many can be considered.
Thanks for the reminder. As you well know, I'm all over the place on this. I'd looked at Rusty's earlier and forgot about'em. A great option to dial in the lift height. I'm not looking for a lift number, but a look and feel.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...able-pair.html

Planning on a mild group trail run Sunday so can feel it out with only the lift shackles in place compared to before. Might have an opportunity to hit some tougher stuff offroad. I'll take it from there but if I feel good about the ride and don't see an issue with the OME springs I'll try to leave it as is.

Any concerns with gas tank skid and JCR bumper if/when the SRB go in? As in, getting SRB mounted under the skid mount which is preferred so as to not add even more lift. Not sure if it will change my bumper position. Figure it out when I get there.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black