• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

console + shift boot

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a full console (off a '90 XJ) from the junkyard installed today, somehow I got the perfect color match so wahoo as far as that goes. The whole thing bolted on quite easily but I am having a problem with my shift boot (i have a 5-speed).

The boot didn't work on the old mini-console because it was broken, so I had my hopes up for finally having the thing installed properly. It fits in perfectly and everthing, but I can't seem to figure out how it is supposed to fasten to the console. It appears it little tabs on the back of it that would seem to cause it to just snap in, but I haven't got this to happen yet.

Do I need to epoxy it in there or something? Or do I have to just snap it in there really hard? Or do I have to pull it up from under the console that way? Does anyone know? Where it is sitting now is hindering my shifting so i'd like to get it fixed up as fast as i can.

there should be a black rectangular collar that the shift boot slides onto....that collar "snaps" into the console, my collar cracked and the tabs broke off and never fit....I do have an extra collar, but it seems to have disappeared along with the tool box conatining all my extra Jeep parts.

IIRCm the front and back (narrow sides of the collar) should have 2 tabs on it that snap into the console, the boot fits tightly on the collar and the collar snaps tightly into the console...but again the collar goes in a certain way...the thick part of the collar goes to the front

Aha! I figured out the problem. Like you said, it has to go in a certain way. Of course I had it the wrong one. When i spun it around and tried to lock it in it snapped in place perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Back