• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypasses Up Front

Rockwood

NAXJA Forum User
Who's mounted them up front? Pictures? Problems you ran into? Plan on building my own shock hoops and look forward to being able to use valving to keep it off the stops up front, but still flex/ride plush. Rear isn't too much of a problem, but will probably be highlighted once done with the front...

Are you thinking coil-overs or air shocks?

Well, didn't work. Ended up with standard 2.0 Fox Factory Race series with remote reservoirs. Just couldn't get it to live in there without completely hacking up the engine compartment. Either the body would contact the frame at full articulation, or the caliper would hit the mid-travel compression adjuster, or the tire would hit the reservoir. Maybe if they were 2.0" 2 tube remote reservoir bypasses, but the 2.5" King triples with attached reservoir (like Wilkey ran) just wouldn't fit. Wonder how much rubber he's transferred to his reservoirs...

I am running 12” King Triple Bypasses in the front with Coil springs. I have them mounted to the front lower links and I snagged a Barnett Performance front upper shock mount kit and welded it in. No hoop or tied into cage (yet). I do not think they Barnett Performance is still in existence. They were a Jeepspeed orientated company. But the design of the mount bracket is very generic and could be made at home. What you can’t see is the massive threaded 1” stud on the top that you tighten down on the top through the fender. The Shock bolt runs into the engine bay next to the ABS lines and next to the passenger side area respectively. Its a bolt in kit but I welded it in with some booger welds years ago.

The bottom mounting used to be just shock mounts off my radius arms and kept that approach with the 4 link. You can just cut out the factory shock mount on the axle and branch one off your LCA mounts (after market 1/4” of course). So if you’re on short arms you should be able to gain some shock length by going down. 1 - 2” I believe. been awhile since I measured that gain.

Best pics I could find. You’d think Id have like a million but apparently not.

IJJAQxUh.jpg

4RFWpQ5h.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have better pics of the upper mount?
Are those 12" bypass's

I will have to take some better pics. They been on there for a number of years now so I don’t have any that i know of.

They are 12” yes.

Here area few pics I took of how I have mine setup. Red circle shows where the shock bolt comes through the fender from the shock eyelet. The other one from the engine bay shows where that large bolt from the shock bracket mounts through the fender. I think its a 1” bolt. Can’t remember exactly. Ignore my garbage welds. It was quite awhile go.

Vve8WI3h.jpg

s1IWSmQh.jpg

prdlmmph.jpg

Un4KBn3h.jpg

Back