• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover torque limiter sleeve source

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Anyone have a source of the torque limiter sleeves used to control the compression of the valve cover gaskets?
Mopar PN# 53020598AB
Google is giving no joy and of the few dealer listed, none have them in stock, being discontinued.

It maybe time for a wrecking yard run.

I just bagged a full set up for storage otherwise I could measure them for you.

I'm only short two sleeves to finish this project, it will take less time to make a pair of them than driving a half hour to a decent yard that may not have any XJs available for picking.
It doesn't appear that the sleeves are available for purchase anymore, another totally obsolete XJ part.
A couple short pieces of 3/8" O.D. steel tubing, two washers and some silver solder is what it will take to make a pair.

The other option is to go with a Crown/Rt cover, it doesn't use the spacers.

Well, if they were when you posted that link it sure didn't take long for them to go out of stock.
They now have a link so you can get on the waitlist. I bet it will be a long time before they ever get them back in stock.
Put these on the list of bits and pieces to save from the junkyard.

Google found many listings for the torque limiter sleeves and almost every ad said "discontinued" or "out of stock".
Tried ordering from two Mopar dealers that showed stock but when it came to buying, the return messages showed they were not available and obsolete.
It's a good thing the sleeves are not a critical item.

I thought they came with a new valve cover gasket kit? or is this something different?

I think the plastic grommets come with a new gasket, but not the metal sleeves that go in the grommets.

My new Crown cover came with a gasket so I took my old valve cover, retainers, a new Felpro gasket and grommets, and my old pushrods and boxed them all up in my Crown box. It's all ready to go for any reason.

The other option is to go with a Crown/Rt cover, it doesn't use the spacers.

I have one but don't want install it, preferring to keep the engine appearing as stock as possible, with the emissions testing here getting more complicated every year.
My 2001 XJ failed the visual inspection last year due to having the wrong (aftermarket) air inlet hose. It wasn't a big deal to fix, I pulled the hose off my 1997 XJ and used it to pass.

I wouldn't want to show up with the wrong valve cover while having many engine modifications, it might give the inspector reason to inspect it more thoroughly.

Back