NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 16th, 2018, 16:21
NAXJA Forum User

TPS recommendations

hi all what do you recommend for a replacement TPS, rock auto lists a heap, some economy and some oem style, is there any recommendations on what is best.

im chasing an intermittent hesitation off idle, only happens occasionally and generally when cold. i did a test on the TPS and where the manual says 4.8 volts at WOT I'm only getting 3.7, however it is smooth and progressive from idle to WOT.

the car is a '94 xj limited with 430000km on it and while all the other sensors have been replaced this one has not, and as its relatively cheap my plan is to replace it.

that said I'm not convinced its the culprit, i could also have suspect injector connectors, i recently swapped in the horse shoe later style inlet manifold , and while doing that i saw that the injector connector contacts were corroded, I've cleaned them the best i can but there may still be issues.

alternatively it could be something totally different,

lets face it its a Jeep

thanks

ewen
Old January 16th, 2018, 21:38
NAXJA Forum User

Re: TPS recommendations

Whether the hesitation is on a hot motor, a cold motor or both can tell you a lot.

Ohm test the TPS ground. And/or do a TPS WOT test to the TPS ground and then again straight to battery neg.

Cold engine can be a weak spark for whatever reason.

Hot engine, anything after a few minutes of run time can be a lazy O2 sensor and/or O2 sensor wiring.

Both hot and cold can be the TPS, MAP or even a weak CPS signal.

Just a tip, a weak sensor may work better with good wiring and clean connectors, than a good senor with burnt wiring or corroded connectors.

Just a hunch, but push sideways on the rotor and see how much side play you have. It can have quite a bit of play and cause some minor park issues, especially during low compression when the timing chain may jump around some. If it gets real bad it will eventually explode your rotor.

Have you checked your CEL key codes? The CEL codes aren't definitive, but if one or more is there it can tell you a likely sensor that is on it's last legs. And don't forget about the sensor wiring, the sensor may be good the wiring not so much.
Old January 16th, 2018, 22:16
NAXJA Forum User

thanks,
ill give your ideas a try and see what happens, my jeep is not a daily driver so its not critical

that said i prefer to drive the jeep than my late model cars
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:18
NAXJA Member

To answer your question,,It is recommended to replace with OEM Mopar parts.They will be more expensive......but how long has the original lasted.
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old January 18th, 2018, 20:42
NAXJA# 2091

My first guess would be the O2 sensor or if it is new, then the wiring or the O2 heater power relay. At idle if the power to the electric heater is not there, the O2 sensor can get too cold at idle (hot engine or not) and slip back and forth from open loop to cold and get bad O2 sensor data causing hesitation

"im chasing an intermittent hesitation off idle, only happens occasionally and generally when cold:"

But a noisy TPS signal at idle can do it too. Have you made 100% sure there are ZERO vacuum line leaks?

I had a poor, loose connection on an injector for years, it did not affect the idle speed, just the smoothness of the idle. Hunting at idle is usually an O2 sensor, feed back problem caused by the above. It is common for the wires to the O2 sensor to get damaged!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091

Last edited by Ecomike; January 18th, 2018 at 20:45.
Old January 18th, 2018, 21:54
NAXJA Forum User

I've had good luck with Standard brand sensors so far, all have worked well, lasted well and no out of the box fails yet.