• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke LF Shaft & Pulled out BJ

jeepnatv4life

NAXJA Forum User
i was wheelin yesterday got in a bind.... Bent the front drag link,didnt wanna work on it where it was so I romped on it with both wheels toed in.

I broke inner and the stub but in doing so I pulled the lower ball joint almost out of the socket!?

So what do I do to combat against this happening again???? Tack in the BJ?

You don't move when you break a shaft. Or at least to check on it before you move. I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Just make sure the u-joint is intact before you move.

What happened was when the shaft broke the ears on the shaft got together and picked up on the axle. Seperating the ball joints.

This was A LONG time ago.

DSC05555.jpg

Replace drivers side axle and stub shaft with an aftermarket aloy unit.
Replace lower ball joint.

What happened was that the shafts bound together and pulled the lower ball joint apart. Happens all the time.

Next time, when you break an axle, STOP! :D :D :D

so what do I need to do now? Are the BallJoints considered comprimised?

The force of the axle breaking is able to pull out the BJ? I dont understand

DictumBreak083.jpg

cant see it in the pix weight pressed it in but the lower is half out of the inner c and the upper is pulled down

THE LOWER BJ did NOT seperate it pulled the socket and stud down out of the inner c

Last edited:
so what do I need to do now? Are the BallJoints considered comprimised?
Yes, do both new balljoints with quality units and replace the shaft. The balljoints are toast, don't trust them. They could be fine to get off the trail, but not if it is your DD. Why risk it over something so inexpensive?

As others said; when you hear the pop, stop.

Replace shaft, replace ball joints.

Get spicer ball joints from alljeep.com (very cheap, and quality units).

Get spicer x760 u-joints from them as well.

Same thing happens to D44s as well:

13767_530514532880_41902041_31420969_6225470_n.jpg

13767_530514527890_41902041_31420968_6834887_n.jpg

13767_530489098850_41902041_31419220_769700_n.jpg

Yes, do both new balljoints with quality units and replace the shaft. The balljoints are toast, don't trust them. They could be fine to get off the trail, but not if it is your DD. Why risk it over something so inexpensive?

As others said; when you hear the pop, stop.

Lol I did stop for the most part. It wasnt workable where it stood so I had to move it..

New Moogs will be in this weekend

So what do I do to combat against this happening again???? Tack in the BJ?

Nope...

Next time if/when your steering bends to the point that both front tires are toed in, don't romp on it. Keep your foot off the gas pedal and have someone pull you out with a winch/strap, then fix your steering.

You don't move when you break a shaft. Or at least to check on it before you move. I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Just make sure the u-joint is intact before you move.

What happened was when the shaft broke the ears on the shaft got together and picked up on the axle. Seperating the ball joints.

This was A LONG time ago.

DSC05555.jpg

It's funny his shirt says "do it in the mud". That's why I carry a tarp in my tool box so when you gotta work in the mud!

Back