• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Benefit of renix vs swapping to newer harness

camojeep88

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have been searching for a while and I still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Current is 88 xj with blown engine but have a stroker built for it. Stroker includes 91 head and exhaust with 99 intake manifold. I was debating on replacing the harness from a 91-95 but one dont know how hard it will be and two if it is even worth doing. I absolutely HATE the renix tps sensor but I want some opinions from people who have dont this or have thought about it and why they didnt. Any info or even a point in the right direction will help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

www.cruiser54.com

Good place to start.

As for the swap it's really only worth doing the harness if you're upgrading to OBDII past that there really isn't a benefit for the amount of work.

Is this off road only? I doubt you'll pass smog.

Smog testing usually isn't a problem if your up-grading the year of the system!

I'm guessing you're aware of the throttle body/tps issue, right? There's a Megasquirt available that's plug-and-play with the Renix connector. If you have a manual, that would be the way to go. OBD-I isn't worth it other than to change sensors if it's worth that much to you. OBD-II has a bus system that makes it a PITA. Not insurmountable but a lot of work to end up HAVING to pay someone to tune it vs using the auto-tune feature of MS to get you close and play with it from there. MS is in the latest Summit Racing catalog. BIGTIME BABY!!! Other than sensor availability and the frail TPS, there's a lot of love out there for Renix as a "it just works" system vs a more frail "limp home" OBD. There's a few Renix vs OBD threads over on Jeepstrokers worth a read.

You're 100% sure on the head ports and Renix intake and gasket, huh?
I've done 3 Renix intakes to HO heads with no issues.....

Just gonna say what ever cruiser is saying has very high probability of being correct.....

You're 100% sure on the head ports and Renix intake and gasket, huh?

I've done 3 Renix intakes to HO heads with no issues.....
What do you mean about the head ports intake and gasket? I got a 99-01 I take and I figure if there were issues with it matching up the machinist would have let me know. I have decided I am going to keep the renix tb and make it fit on the intake. But I am interested in the megasquirt deal. I've never heard of it before. This is my first stroker so I'm still figuring all this out. I have bigger injectors and all the stuff for the map sensor but that's about it past everything for the engine. Any knowledge anyone can pass along would be amazing

The machinist isn't gonna know necessarily.

Just make sure you use the intake gasket for what ever manifold you're using.

For instance, if you chose to use the Renix intake on your HO head, use the Renix gasket.

The machinist isn't gonna know necessarily.

Just make sure you use the intake gasket for what ever manifold you're using.

For instance, if you chose to use the Renix intake on your HO head, use the Renix gasket.
I'm using the 99-01 intake and that's the gasket they used

Sorry for bringing this one back to life, but to answer the original question, the RENIX computer system is just fine and its really not worth the extra effort to swap out for OBD-I

In regards to the current situation, you can use RENIX components on your build. Sounds like you have a 91 Head which has the provision for the CTS so thats simple. The big issue is going to be mounting the TPS since you are using a non-renix Intake\Throttle Body. They make TPS adapters that allow you to mate the RENIX TPS to your Throttle Body. It is expensive however.

I personally have a similar setup with my stroker. Its all documented on the JeepStrokers site.

Hopefully that is helpful.

Back