• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight popping noise in front end when turning.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 99 Sport with a 3.5 Rubicon Express lift. Just noticed yesterday that while driving straight I hear no noises. If I turn my wheel to pull into the driveway or parking space I hear a slight popping sound in the front end and can feel a slight thump in the floor board. Vehicle has 135,000 miles. Have had the lift kit on for over a year in a half without this noise. Also noticed my passenger side axle tube by the front tire has a oily area and smells of differential lube. Should I worry about getting that fixed pronto?

im having the same problem with my 96 xj (thats stock height :() whenever i pull into my driveway of when one side of my xj goes up before the other o hear a popping and feel it..some of the guys in here have been saying its the balljoints but im gonna keep lookin at this thread for some more possibilities

If you're getting oil by the axle seals, the hub bearings might be shot. Popping noise could indicate axle shaft ujoint, but it's all in the same area. Jack it up, take off the wheel, and move the hub around. The oil is a pretty clear sign of shot bearings. By getting it fixed, you probably mean take it in, right? Compared to fixing it? Rarely do these things fix themselves or get cheaper to have fixed as time goes by. Only other thing to check is wheel nuts being tight.

Back