• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent thud while turning slow or standing still.

IndyXJ

Member #1314
To begin, all my steering components are stock except the track bar.

I have an intermittent pop/thud you can feel when driving slow or just turning the wheel back and forth while parked with it running. I won't have a 2nd pair of eyes to help me until Saturday, but wanted to field any likely culprits. Keep in mind, it doesn't do it EVERY time, when I got it in the garage, it didn't do it, but tonight at the gas station and when I got to my drive way, I could do it as much as I wanted sitting in the drive way.

Everything FEELS solid and tight. No loose bolts that I can see or feel. This is my 2nd track bar. My first, the heim joint came out of the track bar, as if it just came out of the threads, but this was a gradual process. NOT FUN! However everything is tight on that.

My steering box DOES leak and has leaked for like 2 years. N00b question, but could something inside the steering box be just failing? The leak is very slow, but my pitman arm is wet.

Thanks for reading. I'm looking to upgrade my steering, but I can't very soon.

Bill/IndyXJ

have some on move crank the wheel side to side whale you watch the steering rack if some thing is wrong you will more then likely be able to see it. if no visible problem jack the whole thing up (in the center of the front axle) and shake down the front end cheaking the wheel berings ball joints and tie rod ends with it in the air feel your whole steering rack pull thm pretty hard to feel any slop. then last grap your steering shaft from under the hood and feel for slop in te shaft. still nothing greese all the fittings and see if that solves your problem if so take it to a shop when it comes back and tell them to troubble shoot it and fix it .

i have the EXACT same issue (frequent poppining, all stock besides trac-bar)

i've been close to spending the money to start replacing stock components, but it'd be nice to have a clue as to where to start...

Back