• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wobbly steering

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
my brother just bought a 98 xj sport with a 3 inch lift and it has some play in the steering and the front end makes some noose i hope some one nose a adjustment for this thanks

Check the basics:

1. Traditional front-end alignment.
2. Replace steering stabilizer.
3. Examine steering shaft U-joints.

If that doesn't help, it could be a larger component of the steering system (tie rod end, ball joint, etc.). Did you try searching?

Does the steering wheel feel lose....could be the rubber disc at the lower portion of the steering column also known as a rag joint....just make sure that you center the strg wheel if you have to replace it
kinda looks like this:
strgspacerragjnt6yg.png

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the front end, and you should see where the play is coming from. I had my 10 year old daughter sit in the drivers seat with the engine running and turn the steering wheel while I crawled under the car (scary). It was pretty obvious where my play was. The tie Rod End between the pitman arm and the drag link was shot. The pitman arm would move about 2 inches before the drag link would move at all.

Back