• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good 4.0 performance ECU?

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I was searching the threads here and can't find what I'm looking for. Also couldn't find it on moparperformance.com.

I can get an aftermarket ECU for my 2001, but I'd rather pay the extra and have a genuine MOPAR unit. I could also use the Hypertech Power Programmer III, but again, rather have MOPAR.

Does anybody know an ECU similar in quality/performance to the MOPAR ECU, or know where I might be able to find a genuine MOPAR unit?

For now, I want to have higher redline, harder shifts, and a little more power, although 1-2 years from now, when my turbo'd stroker is built, all I'll really want/need it for is the shift points.

Thanks guys!

Hey Dino,

Ok, so that's pretty much all I'm limited to? I thought the Super AFC 2 and FTC-1 units only changed A/F mixture and ignition advance, can they modify shift points also?

krakhedd said:
Hey Dino,

Ok, so that's pretty much all I'm limited to? I thought the Super AFC 2 and FTC-1 units only changed A/F mixture and ignition advance, can they modify shift points also?

Yeah, you're limited to either the Hypertech Power Programmer III or the Mopar Performance PCM reflash. Contact [email protected] about the latter.
The Apexi SAFC 2 only changes air/fuel ratios while the Split Second FTC1 also changes the timing so the latter is more suitable for turbo/supercharged applications. Neither will change shift points.

try to find a wrecked police jeep at a junkyard. they have no governer. mabye dino can comment on this, but i think that they have advanced timing too. the police editions are supposed to have 30-40 more hp than stock. and i know it's not all in the overbored motor...
for the trans, use tiny zip ties around the trans to tb cable at the tb. one at a time to space out the end of the cable, until you are satisfied.

About how much does the MOPAR flash cost, and do you think it's worth it on a stick shift? I didn't even know they did that for the 4.0 ECU.

Cjmartz2k said:
About how much does the MOPAR flash cost, and do you think it's worth it on a stick shift? I didn't even know they did that for the 4.0 ECU.

They do but only for the '96+ OBD II system. Contact [email protected] for pricing and details. I believe the cost is somewhere around $400.

krakhedd said:
Hey Dino,

The AW4's shift points aren't changable. Only how hard it shifts by the T/B cable adjustement, and you can do that on a stock jeep.

xuv-this said:
try to find a wrecked police jeep at a junkyard. they have no governer. mabye dino can comment on this, but i think that they have advanced timing too. the police editions are supposed to have 30-40 more hp than stock. and i know it's not all in the overbored motor...

Hahaha, someones been feeding you lines. The police XJ's are stock displacement, stock power, stock everything, just with a raised speed governor. 130mph sounds familiar, but I may be wrong about that exactley.

JeepSpeed said:
Hahaha, someones been feeding you lines. The police XJ's are stock displacement, stock power, stock everything, just with a raised speed governor. 130mph sounds familiar, but I may be wrong about that exactley.
so i'm wondering where did you get your info from? that is probably true, but i'm pretty sure they have more power than stock in later years, (like 98 up or something). the puters are different. john @ ajax (jeepspeed supplier) has sold these as replacements for more power.

What would the flash do for a manual? I already have an adjustable MAP sensor and Adjustable CPS. Will it do anything I haven't already got control over?

Reflash? Become friends with someone who has the equipment to do it ;)

Seriously though, if you have even casual knowledge of car electronics, setup MegaSquirt. I've helped with installs on two friend's vehicles. It really is not difficult at all. Essentially disconnect the stock harness to the injectors and plug in from the MS. For timing I would suggest switching over to the newer DIS systems...I'm pretty sure that the MS code supports the Chrysler DIS systems now. If not, you can always retrofit a DIS off a Ford, they're proven time and again to work perfectly with MS. Then toss on a general tune for a six cyl and tweak until it idles...from thre tune using A/F (wideband o2 works best of course...)

You can get a full MegaSquirt system that is ready to drop in and wire up for around $300, cheaper sometimes...or get the parts and build it yourself for like $50...woohoo for open source hardware!

xuv-this said:
so i'm wondering where did you get your info from? that is probably true, but i'm pretty sure they have more power than stock in later years, (like 98 up or something). the puters are different. john @ ajax (jeepspeed supplier) has sold these as replacements for more power.

My brother is a cop and about 7 years ago (in a large Central Tennessee metropolitan area which will remain unidentified ;) ) when the department was issued a few XJ's for special patrol duty, we lined up side by side and we were dead even up to 80+, at which point we backed off....no difference at all - in fact mine was about a fender and a half ahead.

I think 130 is stretching it - 115-120 is closer to reality. The Corsicas that they used wouldn't even hit 130, and they're a whole lot more aerodynamic than an XJ...

actually, i know for a fact that the top speed is over 130 (non-governed). this is where it it gets kinda complicated, but civilian gps is even more accurate than military gps right now, and i've seen the xj do about 135 via gps. with -2mph detracted for variation.
the xj did better than the corsica in msp testing, too.
now, heres where it gets tricky. DC did mix and match for a lot of government issue xj's i think that there was a hi-po motor as an option. like the hd 242, columnshift auto, speedo, ext. idle, this was a quest for me at one time to find out exactly how they were different, and there was so much damn variation in every thing that i gave up.
hell, the cop who works nights in my town has no governer in his, but it's not columnshift...

xuv-this said:
actually, i know for a fact that the top speed is over 130 (non-governed). this is where it it gets kinda complicated, but civilian gps is even more accurate than military gps right now, and i've seen the xj do about 135 via gps. with -2mph detracted for variation.
the xj did better than the corsica in msp testing, too.
now, heres where it gets tricky. DC did mix and match for a lot of government issue xj's i think that there was a hi-po motor as an option. like the hd 242, columnshift auto, speedo, ext. idle, this was a quest for me at one time to find out exactly how they were different, and there was so much damn variation in every thing that i gave up.
hell, the cop who works nights in my town has no governer in his, but it's not columnshift...

They did mix and match a whole lot of options, but I really honestley think that the whole "hi-po" police package is just BS beleived and cirrculated by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Ask around, and 90% of people think that all cop cars have crazy engines and the like. Very few people know that, with very few exceptions, squad cars are slower than stock. The only performance options you will find with most police packages are trans coolers, high speed rated tires, and maybe harder springs.

i'll have to ask him next time i see him to be sure, but his is a 97' and it's supposed to be rated at 230 ish hp.

xuv-this said:
i'll have to ask him next time i see him to be sure, but his is a 97' and it's supposed to be rated at 230 ish hp.

No offense meant, but your friend either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's full of it.

Back